tacotac
Newly Registered

A Strange Wisteria

I have a japanese wisteria I bought from my local department store when I used to work there. It was a skimpy vine. I realized after that they take years to bloom. I was ok with that. Over the few years or so I have been training it into a tree and is around 5 ft tall now (staked) and looks great. Last year it was the first year it gave me around 3 blooms in the spring, and then one mid summer I believe. Then the japanese beetles came out and started having at it in which I had to spray. I was excited of its first bloom and hoping to have blooms this year, even more so. Well, spring came around and no blooms!! Now this is a plant that blooms in the spring around May or so. I was a bit disappointed, but guess what, near the end of June my wisteria started getting flower buds - bunches of them!! So here it is July, and my wisteria is starting to flower! I had to spray for the beetles again because they would eat my plant AND flowers. Has anyone else had a wisteria that bloomed this late in the year?? Is is just because it is the first couple years it is adjusting to blooming for the first time or what? Thanks!

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

No but I have a camellia that bloomed in March instead of its usual November/December flush. The weather in Nov/Dec of that year was unusually cold for our region so I assumed that it decided to postpone the Fall flush until things warmed up.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”