The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Do you get a minty smell when you crush leaves?

HG

applestar
Mod

Huh. I don't know. Partly because the one in the garden, I have to push past an overgrown borage to be anywhere near it so I'm more aware of the cucumber-y smell. Then there's a sweet clover on the other side of the path and a lemon balm at the end.... :roll: :wink:

I'll check in the morning. It doesn't have a square stem though.

applestar
Mod

Nope no minty smell, just green....

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

One down...

still stumped... :?

HG

applestar
Mod

Oh, no! Et tu?

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Rainbow, I reluctantly disagree with the pix you sent--the nightshade in my yard has purple/yellow flowers and is more of a vine, easily broken when pulled, and stinks. It makes green berries that mature to red, and flowers along the axils. It doesn't stand upright at all past about 6", then flops over and roots wherever it touches. The leaves are more like an old-fashioned tomatoe leaf, almost compound.

Applestar, if you don't like it, then get rid of it now, before it takes over any more real estate!

That's my 2 cents.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think RBG got it right. Applestar's plant does look like one of the "deadly nightshades" ... Eastern Black Nightshade (Solanum ptycanthum), to be exact. It has white flowers and bears black berries.

The problem is that "deadly nightshade" is a common name and is used for at least 3 different species of plants, and possibly more. I have the same species Wing has, which has purple and yellow flowers and bears red berries. It's a vine with the scientific name is Solanum dulcamara. Unfortunately, this plant is also sometimes called Black Nightshade. :roll:

The scientific name for the third species is Atropa belladonna, also commonly known as just Belladonna. This plant has purple flowers, but bears black berries.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Oh, so...no confusion there. :roll: Thanks Kisal. Of course there are duplications in the botanical world--redundant systems, if you will.

Like poison ivy for instance. Just talked with a neighbour who warned me it has shown up in his yard, bordering his other neighbour. He found out the hard way. Fortunately he does wear gloves and got most of it washed off, but there's still a few "reminders". Great, first varmints, then garlic mustard, now poison ivy.

Sigh.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”