bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Plants for terrariums

I have a small terrarium home to some terrestrial crustaceans in which I would like to add a few plants. I have considered planting a Heart Leaf Philodendron in the terrarium, but I have read some contradicting information on its toxicity. Some places say it is good for terrariums, and other places say it is toxic (which it is to most higher organisms) and should not be used. Does anyone have any experience with this plant as a terrarium subject? Also, does anyone have other plant recommendations for use in a 20 gal aquarium that can survive in a constantly moist soil consisting of sand and coconut fibers? I have already tried Spider Plants and Dracaena Bamboo with moderate success.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have seen miniature African violets grown in terrariums. They might very well appreciate a growing medium of sand and coconut fiber. They like high humidity, and they like an extremely well-drained potting mix that's kept moist, but not wet. They like bright, indirect or curtain-filtered light.

If the growing medium is deep enough in the tank, you might be able to keep the African violets in tiny clay pots, buried in the medium. That would help them stay moist, but not too wet. Just a suggestion. :)

ETA: I don't know whether they'd be poisonous to your crustaceans.

reptile dude007

Oki dokie.
What type of Cristin to start out with.
Pothos are great. Google "Reptile safe plants"
And yes, african violates are safe.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

What type of Cristin to start out with.
Primarily Hermit Crabs.

I have read that Pothos are safe for frogs and reptiles, but they eat the insects in the terrarium, not the plants. Who knows, maybe the hermit crabs will not eat the plants (they can tell if some plants are toxic or not) and Dracaena is supposedly toxic to hermit crabs, and they won't eat it. But Pothos are not native to the hermit crabs natural range (at least the kind I have), so the safety/toxicity is questionable. Any ideas?

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

And another question I have regarding terrarium plants: how can I enrich the soil with nutrients without poisoning the crabs? They do not defecate a lot, and most household fertilizers are poisonous to them.

reptile dude007

You can only keep one spp. of land crustation per tank. When you saying small, what do you mean gallon wise? Becuase hermits just large. From what I under stand they need a large cage, like 40 gallon for 3 or 4.

Soil should be coco nut fiber x sand. You can use these,
[img]https://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/104976_front200.jpg[/img]
Just put them in the root ball, not the soil.

reptile dude007

Pothos eating bugs? Who told you that?

Also for more info on live terariums look here (Not spam just telling him where he can find info please don't ban me)
https://www.totallyterrariums.com/

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

When you saying small, what do you mean gallon wise? Becuase hermits just large. From what I under stand they need a large cage, like 40 gallon for 3 or 4
The tank is 20 gal as stated in the first post. As of now the hermit crabs are only the size of a quarter, and it will be 10+ years before they're big.
Just put them in the root ball, not the soil
The root ball is in the soil.
Pothos eating bugs? Who told you that?
I meant the frogs and reptiles eat the bugs (as appose to eating the Pothos).
Also for more info on live terariums look here (Not spam just telling him where he can find info please don't ban me)

Thanks for the link. Don't worry, you probably won't be banned!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”