Elizabeth
Newly Registered

Bug and Ant Solution that won't harm pets?

Kind of a gardening question. I got it in my head that's I'd like to make a side table out of a thick tree stump with the added bonus of kitty having a place to climb that smells like the outdoors and a nice natural scratching post. Now, as much as I love nature, I really don't want to encourage an ant habitat along with other "creatures". My cat's imaginary fly friend is enough of an addition to our family (yes, kitty chasing almost invisible fly is an entertaining activity for both feline and human). So, is there a Bug-Be-Gone solution that would help re-locate the crawlies prior to introducing it safely to kitty ?
Thank you all.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know of any way to be sure all residents have left a piece of wood, before you bring it into your home. I know that antique furniture can sometimes be infested with woodworms, and that can be treated by placing the item inside a large airtight plastic bag, which is then filled with some kind of fumigation treatment. I have no idea how expensive it would be to treat a section of tree stump that way. I also don't know enough about the treatment to know what the environmental hazards might be.

Personally, I don't even bring firewood into my home, until I'm ready to toss it on the fire. I won't even stack it near the walls of my house. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

Elizabeth
Newly Registered

Okaaay, that sounds like a little more effort than I'd anticipated putting into this "little" crafty project.
It seems I might have to get back to the drawing board, hm...
Maybe of I seal it with some kind of non-toxic something for kitty??
Thank you.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Maybe neem oil can be applied to it, and that will purge the ants. Better wait for other response before you consider it, though.

Elizabeth
Newly Registered

Hi bonsaiboy, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
I'm not familiar with neem oil. Can you please tell more about what it's normally used for and where to get it? I can go inquire about it more.
Thank you

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Here is a thread on neem oil. Although it is theroreticaly safe, I would not use it without first consulting some type of expert. Also, bear in mind that the neem oil sold at garden centers is mixed with other chemicals to make it hydrophilic, and these chemicals may alter its properties thus making it harmful. https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=925

It may also help to know that if the stump is washed off well, prior to bringing it inside, most of the insects will be go away without the use of chemicals. I have personaly used this method before with good results.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”