opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Seedy Saturday

For those that live in the Victoria, British Columbia region/area; Seedy Saturday is this Saturday at the Conference Center. It's always really busy so, the earlier you get there, the better your chances of finding what you want. Also, bring any saved seeds that you have as there is a seed trading booth.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Seedy Saturday was a huge hit. Lots of great stuff and lots of great information. I want to reafirm (sp?) the SEA SOIL that I have touted before, it is great stuff and my plants just love it. The guys who make sea soil were at Seedy Saturday and I had a great conversation with the son of the owner.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Their counterparts here would be Coast of Maine; pick your mix, with salmon ( I like the Penobscot Blend for my window boxes) or my favorite bagged compost, Quoddy Blend (with lobster shells) to add to my gardens...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Mmmmm, that lobster tail mix sounds intriguing. The closest thing that we have to lobsters around here are squat lobsters and they are pretty tiny (about the size of a large prawn).

Hey Scott, you'll be happy to know that with addition of earthworms to the soil, the microfauna that are stimulated by the worm castings are decomposers of chitin (the carbon compound in lobster and crab shells). Neat huh?

Also, way back when a member asked me about Beech Trees and earthworms are not able to initially decompose Beech (or Oak) leaves due to the high amounts of lignin and cellulose in the leaves but, after a period of weathering, (and not to mention physical shredding) worms are able to do there work.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Great slow release on that mix and a good dark soil...

HG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”