humble angel
Newly Registered

Suggestions for a Trellis Vine or Plant

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion on what kind of quick
growing vine-type of plant I can use to grow on my trellis. Its a new
trellis and I was thinking maybe honey suckle - I love the way it
smells! But not sure how quick it would grow...Is there something
I can plant that might grow rapidly up the trellis? Thanks for any ideas.

humble angel

[img]https://photobucket.com/albums/f352/humbleangel4343/th_pic23.jpg[/img]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Honeysuckle is plenty quick; I'd be sure to use the native forms, probably Lonicera sempervirens, as it is a good red flower (EXCELLENT hummingbird attractor) and the foliage should stay all winter for you down there... 8)

Scott

Michigan2Iowa

One thing my mom tried when she put in a new trellis was to grow hybrid morning glories (annual: Ipomoea purpurea) the first year while her clematis took its sweet time to make its way up each side. The morning glories filled in the blank spots while the clematis worked its way up. And since the morning glories were gone the next year the clematis was ready to take off!

I will amend this by saying morning glories are considered invasive in some areas (can't even buy the plants in AZ)...so feel free to say "Paul, your advice is stinky!"

:lol:

Also, is your trellis in a sunny or shady area?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Now why didn't I think to ask? :?

Good question Paul!

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Silver lace vine (Polygonum aubertii) is also a very fast grower, and very beautiful and fragrant as well. It can be planted in full sun to partial shade, and requires little care other than a pruning once in a while. :wink:

Val

humble angel
Newly Registered

Thank you all. Great suggestions! I'm taking my little notes and will probably go with the honey suckle, but the other suggestions sound just as nice - maybe I will use more than one. I have a row of trellis' that I am going to put up - trying to create a path of them to walk through. I hope it comes out the way it looks in my head...

humble angel

[img]https://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f352/humbleangel4343/pic12.gif[/img]

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Nothing wrong with mixing it up. My old sensei had a trellis he planted with wisteria, honeysuckle, and autmn clematis. Lots of season there!

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

It always looks pretty to have different flowers intermingled. Clematis and climbing roses can look very stunning. :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Passion flower are cool too! I love them! And you can eat the flowers. Bonus.

Morning Glory is a huge invasive here. Wow, it is the bane of my very gardening existance. I can't stand the stuff. I mean, I love the flowers but, it chokes my garden out. So, maybe ask around before planting Morning Glory

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”