rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

work shift at the CSA farm

Yesterday I was out at the Grailville farm. It's run as a CSA --community supported agriculture. That means I paid $245 for the season and I contribute 16 work hours through the season and I get a share in all the produce from the farm (actually in this case a half share, but it is still some of everything they grow). It is a totally organic farm, about 20 miles from me.

Yesterday morning I helped with harvesting kale and chard (which were distributed to members 3 hrs later after being washed and sorted), weeding lettuce, onions. It was great being out there, nice weather. It means my experience of eating these veggies (what we got for our shares yesterday was garlic scapes, lettuce, chard, mustard greens, kale, spinach, broccoli) is very similar to eating my own veggies from my garden -- I know what the fields they were grown in look like, work of my hands went into them, I know that no poisons or synthetic chemicals were used on them, and they haven't been shipped across the country, and I am eating them within hours of when they were last in the ground.

I only have a very small area of yard suitable for growing any veggies; this is the next best thing and I love it! If you are interested
www.localharvest.org will tell you where the nearest CSA to you is. I only wish I had found mine a few years sooner! This is my second year as a member

applestar
Mod

OOH Lucky YOU!
When I looked into CSA's, I found out that there USED to be an organic CSA 2 towns over (about 20 min drive) away but they switched to wholesale/restaurant trade. Only other organic CSA's were just under 1 hour drive away, and just over 1 hour drive away. Too far for me, especially with small kids at the time. This region is woefully lacking in organic farms. <sigh> So much for GARDEN state! :roll:

Have fun with your efforts AND the "fruits" of your labor at the CSA -- another plus must be that you get to learn how to grow all kinds of different crops. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

CSA

yes.. On the 5 acre farm they grow 30 some different veggies. Steve the farmer is in charge of the place and he is very friendly and helpful, willing to talk about how he manages everything, what kinds of fertilizers he uses, etc. So it is good learning as well as good exercise and good food. I can't find any disadvantages. I don't even have to drive out there every week, since there's a bunch of us in-townies that go together, rotate picking up shares for 11 people and bringing them back to a closer in, central location. So I will do the pick up 2 or 3 times this season (one of which was done yesterday in conjunction with the work shift), do two more work shifts and the rest of the time don't even have to do the half hour drive out to the farm.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”