biogirl
Newly Registered

Mulching over bulbs?

Hello everyone, I am a beginner gardener (just bought my first house last fall), so I am new to most of this stuff.

I have a large number of tulips, crocuses and daffodils in my front garden bed which look spectacular when they all started to bloom in the spring, but now the garden seems rather empty. I plan to plant a few things in and around the bulbs this summer, but the bed gets extremely dry and I have been contemplating covering the bed in bark mulch to keep a bit of the moisture in.

So my question is this, if I place a few inches of bark mulch on top of this flower bed, will the tulips, crocuses and daffodils be alright to come up through it in the spring?

Also, when is the best time to split and replant tulip bulbs? The the tulips in my garden were from the previous owner, and they are quite densely packed now and need to be spread out a bit.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The tulips would probably come up okay, if you kept the mulch to 3" or so, and don't use a weed barrier. If you want to use a weed barrier under the mulch, be careful not to put it over the tulips.

I think you should wait until early fall to divide and replant them.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”