applestar
Mod

Best time to spray?

Could we go over the basic weather conditions for best time to spray and best time NOT to spray? What I remember is:

Best time to spray is overcast windless days. Not too hot, though I can't remember the temp not to exceed. There's a lower temp limit for dormant oil sprays too, I seem to remember... something in the 40's?

When NOT to spray --

(1) No wind for obvious reasons -- there's often a brief period of stillness just before sunrise and sunset, but the transition when the sun rises and sun sets creates thermal differences that causes breeze to pick up.
(2) No rain in the forecast -- duh
(3) No direct sunlight... or was that only horticultural oils and dormant oils?

When spraying the 1:10 milk solution, how long before the micro-organisms start becoming active? Hours? 12 hours? 24 hours? If there is forecast 50% chance of rain later in the day, is it worth it at all to spray first thing in the morning?

Is it good or bad to spray while foliage is still wet with dew? Wet with dew is a good time to dust, correct? Can you dust with powdered mild ground into flour in a coffee grinder, or would that be too concentrated?

Ladybugs have set up camp on my Enterprise apple tree. Everywhere I look, vigorous spotted adults, just emerged spotless ones, pupae, larvae in every stage of development, even an egg cluster. :D :D How careful do I need to be when spraying with milk solution? I'd guess no strong jets/sprays, but anything else I need to be aware of? Had a few outbreak of fireblight on young tip growth as well as a smattering of cedar apple rust appearing, so I need to be more diligent.

Need a sticky.... :D

applestar
Mod

So I sprayed with the 10% milk solution... and we had a downpour 10 hours later.... :roll: :|

... on the other hand, DD just refused to drink a 2/3 full 1/2 gal container of 1 day past expiration milk (2%) saying it tastes funny, so it looks like I'll have plenty of milk to spray with! 8)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”