tommyg07
Newly Registered

Ponytail Palm Questions about Soil and Plant

I have had a beautiful Ponytail Palm for about a year and there are rocks glued on the surface of the soil. I'm wondering if it is safe to keep them there or if there is a purpose to them? If I need to take them out what should I put in place of the stones?

Also the bottom leaves on the palm are consistely dying and need to be pruned? Is this right or am I doing something wrong?

One more question, the tips are always browning on each leaf, I trim them to healthy green part of each leaf, but it always turns brown again. Is there anything I can do to prevent or slow this down? I have read that it is normal, but it is also very ugly.

Thanks so much for any help.

I just found this website a few minutes ago and love it already. I will be returning anytime I get, but I am always busy with high school so we will see.

Thanks again!!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

https://davesgarden.com/pf/go/2312/

https://www.boldweb.com/greenweb/palmtree.htm

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Tommy,

Cool to see young people getting into plants ; they were just "woods" when I was young, and now you can't take me in the woods without me trying to name everything (I've gotten much better). I sometimes think of all that time spent in the woods and wish I knew then what I do now... I must be getting old cuz I'm getting all misty here, and all you did was ask about a ponytail... :roll:

Kept in bonsai pots, watering will be a real bear unless you repot regularly. This one has pretty good long term storage so every three years or so sounds about right. Just trim any roots that hang far below what you can get back into the pot, and replenish with a 50/50 mix of sand and compost. I'd accompany this with a haircut to cut down transpiration until the roots could come back in, but I always do that when repotting any of my bonsai...

HG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”