conks
Newly Registered

Complete Novice! - Basics of gardening

Hi,

The subject heading probably says it all !

I've moved into a house recently with a front and rear garden. I'm looking to landscape and plant ASAP.

Here's the questions:

1. There were Tulips in the front border which have since died down. Should I dig these up or leave them (will they grow back next year ?).

2. What typical flowering type plants can I put in the ground now which will flower in the SUmmer, and others that will flower in autumn?

3. Gardeners have previosuly suggested certain plants/flowers but I cannot locate these easily in garden centres. I live out in the Country (Somerset) and there are a lot of nurseries here so I'd like for advice on what standard/typical flowering plants etc. that I could pick up easily from such gardening centres.

4. As a hint, we're aiming for a traditional english garden with flowers such as foxgloves, lavender etc.

5. I know that soil type is important and I assume that given we're in the Somerset levels, the soil is clay type (?). Not sure of ph levels but I guess I can test this.

Thanks for the help.

If there are any help sites, or books you can recommend, I'd also be grateful.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've been seeing more and more posts from folks in the UK lately. I think it's great that word about this is going around the world! Until us USA folks are less in the majority, I suggest you put England (or UK or whatever you want to be called :) ) in the title of your posts to attract each other's attention and allow it to be found in a search. I don't know enough about your climate to be real helpful. But to start, if you would give a little more information about the size of your garden space, how much sun it gets, and how cold your winters get, I'm sure some of us would give it a try! English country gardens are lovely!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

since no one else jumped in, I can add that you can leave the tulips and they will come back next year. As far as what plants to use, I really don't know anything about your climate and you haven't said what sun exposure you have, etc. I think what you need to do is find a good nursery where the staff have some expertise and talk to them about what grows well in your location. Incidentally your Natural History Museum has a lovely on-line database at https://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/plants-fungi/postcode-plants/ You enter your postcode and it will generate a list of native plants for your area. I haven't seen anything like it for the US.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”