biwa

Help! Wood-eating slugs!

The rose of sharon I planted last year had just one sprout on it this spring, and a slug ate the spout! Just today my mailbox fell over because some slugs had eaten through the wooden post. I know it sounds crazy, but it really happened.

I don't know what to do. How do I save my yard from these slugs?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've never heard of slugs that eat wood, although they certainly will climb up in trees. They like the moss that grows on the bark, and they'll eat leaves and shoots if they can get to them. I've found a few in my apple tree. Not often, but I've seen it.

Slugs and snails will take refuge under pieces of wood on the ground. Are you sure that isn't what happened?

ETA: BTW, if you're really positive you observed "slugs" eating your mailbox post, I'd be gettin' seriously worried about my house, if I were you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

If slugs are responsible for the damage done (which I believe is possible, I have seen snails eat much stranger foods), then the best way to purge them is to place broken egg shells around the areas you don't want them, creating a border to keep them out.

cyda
Newly Registered

Since spring something has been chewing away wood at the side of my garage door from the bottom up. An exterminator confirmed this was not ants or termites. Last night (area was DRY!) I found a huge slug at the base of the damaged wood and it appeared to be chewing away! I hit him with a slug of salt & will now be checking every evening.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Slugs don't have "chewing" mouthparts. They have mouths like rasps or files, which scrape away the surface of the leaf or stem they're eating. Does the surface of the wood look like it actually has been chewed, or like it has been scraped? Many animals will chew on the edges of wood. Cats, dogs, and raccoons are all famous for chewing on wood, including on the edges of doors they want to get through. Squirrels and rabbits are well known fir chewing on the trunks of trees and shrubs. JMO. :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”