Presidio
Newly Registered

Frozen Seeds - Can Coldness Damage Seeds?

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have recently ordered some vegetable and flower seeds online and began to worry because the weather here has suddenly turned very cold. Will the seeds, which are still on there way to me, be alright? I know most seeds are built to withstand snow and cold, but will they be damaged and have trouble growing?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum Presidio! You shouldn't need to worry. They should be fine. Many people keep their seeds in the freezer themselves. Also, the seed companies are pretty conscious of whether what they are sending is weather sensitive, and will not send it if it will be damaged by the cold until it is the right time.
Not to worry! Feel free to drop in again if you have any questions, or just want to add something to the forum! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Pres, if you were planning on planting the seeds now. A few of them may rot before germinating but, given that you ordered seeds of plants that naturally grow in your area, most should germinate in the spring.

(For best results wait until spring to plant them)

Presidio
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot. I was pretty sure of that but was still a bit worried that it may hurt germination. The seeds are for planting in the spring.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

No problem! That's why we're here! Feel free to stop in again. :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep. That's why...

Michael15r
Newly Registered

grandpasrose wrote:Welcome to the forum Presidio! You shouldn't need to worry. They should be fine. Many people keep their seeds in the freezer themselves. Also, the seed companies are pretty conscious of whether what they are sending is weather sensitive, and will not send it if it will be damaged by the cold until it is the right time.
Not to worry! Feel free to drop in again if you have any questions, or just want to add something to the forum! :wink:

Val
SO you can put seeds in the freezer? this is very interesting.. thanks for these tips..

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yep, you can put them in the freezer or fridge, I do it all the time! :wink:

Val

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”