an
Newly Registered

Help! Need to Hide Neighbours Ugly Garage

Hello there

I'm Anne and I'm very new to the whole 'gardening world' so please bare with me :)

I've decided I want to improve my garden and in particular the view I have from my large kitchen window.

At the moment as I look out of the window I see my lovely lawn garden to the right BUT to the left I see a horrendous eye-saw, the side of my neighbours pebbledash garage which forms the boundary!!!! :(

Not all bad news tho as I have dug out the lawn and created a bed ready to plant which runs directly down the side of the garage.

This is where I've got stuck. Please could someone recommend some nice bushes/shrubs/plants/climbers etc which will grow and hopefully hide the side of the garage.

The area gets full sun all day and the soil type is clayey!!

Any advise would be great or nice to hear how other people have overcome similar problem.
Many thanks
Anne :D [/b]

Pypersmom

Hi An,

I'm very new to the gardening world as well! You've found a good website though, I've received a lot of good information.

I've heard that Bamboo is a good "hider"... it would be tall and grow quickly. Also, what about putting up lattice and getting some climbing plants... jasmine or climbing roses maybe?

Good Luck!

Ashleigh

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Plant some Moso Bamboo. There are lots of seeds on ebay I bought Iron Bamboo and Moso Bamboo. There are lots of varieties of bamboo too. Bamboo is a grass. A few years ago there were no bamboo seeds on ebay but now there are plenty. Bamboo makes seeds every 48 years. Bamboo plants made seeds a few years ago so now there is plenty of seeds at a reasonable price. Check out ebay, do a Google search for each variety and read all about it. Decide which bamboo you want and buy some seeds. Some bamboo does fine in cold weather and some does not.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

You may want to look at Leyland Cypress. They are fast growers and relatively cheap.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

watch out for the bamboo. It will do what you want, but it is invasive and aggressive and will take over your yard and the neighbors yard and is very hard to get rid of then. I like the idea of a fence or trellis with vines/ climbers. It will hide your eye-sore much faster than anything else. Shrubs are nice but would take some years to get tall enough to help much.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Rainbowgardener has a good point. My understanding is bamboo can be aggressive and invasive.

I, too, like the idea of a trellis with a vine or maybe a really tall grass; butterfly bush. Perhaps, you can theme the entire area so you have something beautiful and serene to look at from your window; bird bath / feeders, water feature, etc.

Keep us posted on your plans. Maybe pics along the way? :wink:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:watch out for the bamboo. It will do what you want, but it is invasive and aggressive and will take over your yard and the neighbors yard and is very hard to get rid of then. I like the idea of a fence or trellis with vines/ climbers. It will hide your eye-sore much faster than anything else. Shrubs are nice but would take some years to get tall enough to help much.
I was going to say that.
At my old house I put in laurels they grow fast and are ever green and very hardy. There are a number of hedge kind of things you could use.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

tomf wrote:
rainbowgardener wrote:watch out for the bamboo. It will do what you want, but it is invasive and aggressive and will take over your yard and the neighbors yard and is very hard to get rid of then. I like the idea of a fence or trellis with vines/ climbers. It will hide your eye-sore much faster than anything else. Shrubs are nice but would take some years to get tall enough to help much.
I was going to say that.
At my old house I put in laurels they grow fast and are ever green and very hardy. There are a number of hedge kind of things you could use.

I was weighing in on this topic when I noticed it was first posted in 09. Surely something has been done by now, or maybe the garage, eyesore that it is/was, may have fallen down by now.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”