wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Continuing kvetch into April...

So, we have yet another snow forecast for tomorrow. The ground has not dried out since it thawed six weeks ago. I simply can not buy any plants yet as it's too cold and soggy. However, I am stocking up on pots and waay too many seed packets. (OK, so I bought some white bleeding hearts and summer bulbs, but they're in the fridge.)
Happy Gardening,
Wing

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ya know, with the weather torturing you like this, maybe you'll want to plant started veggie plants to make up for lost time when winter *finally* looses her grip on the Frozen North's throat.

I know that, when I was a kid, my father said that, in Denver and Cheyenne, you could only count on the growing season being from Memorial Day to Labor Day. If that.

I drove coast to coast one year in late April and I-80 was CLOSED on April 28 by a blizzard in western Nebraska and eastern Wyoming. I finally made it to Cheyenne (no radio in my even-then-old VW Bug) at 10:00 that night, the last vehicle moving westward up the gradual slopes from the Plains to the Rockies.

I'm surprised sometimes that there isn't a "Self-Defense for Gardeners against the Weather" forum here, but maybe we just sneak it in everywhere...you with the cold, us with the drought vs. drowning scenario, etc.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

C. I don't start plants indoors anymore--no room. Houseplants crowd every available sunny spot, and the cats would just LOOOVE to graze on anything new.

Can't figure out how to get up in what's left of sugar maple to wend canvas around the branches and make it into a giant patio umbrella (unless I can borrow a cherrypicker from somebody), so it's back to growing regular patio umbrellas in the back yard. The neighbours all think I'm nuts anyway, so it's ok. :wink:
Happy Gardening,
Wing

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

april driving me crazy too

I'm farther south and not having snow and frost, but it seems like it will just NOT warm up this year... 37 last night, 37 tonight.... I've got stuff "hardening off" that's really suffering and stuff still waiting in the basement that's suffering. Our historic average low temps at this time of year should be at least 8 degrees higher than that, and in recent years more than that. Where is global warming when you need it! :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”