Annabelle
Newly Registered

Suggestions for What to Plant in Narrow Area

I'm looking for some suggestions as to what I can plant in what we referr to as "Kathy's Lower 4 inches"

My mother-in-law used to use this area as her tomato garden but since moving it's become a weed filled mess and our awful neighbor's cats like to use it as their toilet (I love cats but hate the neighbors).

It's a long slim strip of dirt only about 10-12 inches wide and probably 20 feet long up against a chain link fence. I wanted to plant some flowers to help mask the stench of the cats, who also use the other side of the fence as their litter box.

I'm scared though that the cats will tear up anything we plant that's small, so I guess I'm trying to find something that's going to fit into this space but be big enough to cover all the dirt (I read somewhere that if the dirt is covered by plant that helps deter cats from using it).

I'm in Southern California (I'm told it's zone 10).

Any suggestions?

2cents
Green Thumb

Against a fence is a good place for sunflowers.
They grow tall and strong, have a bit of a rough texture on the stems that may discourage cats(slightly) from wonder through. Cats won't tear them up in my experience and your fence would provide support when they get tall and heavy with flowers.
There are many varieties, sizes and some variation in color. They also act as a bit of a hedge, so you don't have to keep looking at the cats on the other side of the fence. and nothing will get more compliments than 12 foot tall sunflowers.
Love your name for the area.
I am going to start looking around the yard for a strip of dirt to name.

Annabelle
Newly Registered

Hmm that's a great idea... and if we can get them REALLY tall we won't have to look at the garbage they've got strewn alongside their house (our vantage point from our dining room looks right over their side of the fence)

2cents
Green Thumb

Anna,

Pick a tall, large headed variety. The leaves are huge and will provide a near complete privacy fence. I'd rather look at green leaves than the neighbors trash. :wink:

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

Anna,

The idea of Sunflowers is a great idea!

I live in Lakewood (near Long Beach) and cats DO NOT like Society Garlic. I find the varigated leaf to smell stronger; it has such pretty purple flowers. It will eventually get wider than 12" but you can divide it out and plant elsewhere in your garden or give to friends with cat problems. I love cats too but have always kept mine indoors so as not to irritate my neighbors.

Post a pick with your finished project! :wink:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”