evavega
Newly Registered

Ponytail Palm Question

Hello to everyone!

I bought a 4" diameter ponytail palm in 1992. Today it is over 12" in diameter and over 3 feet tall. I keep it in a huge terra cotta pot that has a mobile tray underneath for moving indoors during the winter. It is such a beautiful and unique plant in every way. This past summer a small 'baby' plant emerged from the rounded part of the trunk but died at the end of the summer. My question is can I make more of this plant? I regularly use rooting hormone to take cuttings of other plants and do well on occasion but I am by far an amateur gardener. How would one go about getting new plants from this live plant without killing or damaging it?

Thank you for any suggestions you may provide. I discovered this website just half an hour ago and I already love it!

Kind regards!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Eva and welcome...

You guessed it already I'll bet; offsets like the lil' shoot you saw are how this one propagates (can be done from seed, but have you ever seen a flower?). Best done in spring; Momma probably ate that one back up this year, Look for another for this spring...

Scott

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”