dyvonnetxgal

Confused Bulbs.......????

I planted fall bulbs about two weeks ago. This is my first time planting bulbs, I do believe that they might be confused because of the weather changes in unpredictable Texas atmosphere. Well, I thought they are only supposed to concentrate on there root system for now. I think they might have the slightest inkling that it may be spring. :shock: They are poking through the soil already. :shock: Should they be doing this right now? I am clueless about when they should have started sprouting. Please tell me if I need to slow them down by taking them out of the soil and puting them somewhere cooler. Oh..... I am in Zone 9a and they are planted in containers (urns). Thanks, Dyvonne.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Mine are too!
Unfortunately, I know nothing about bulbs (well almost nothing) seeing as I came from Florida and am learning gardening all over again. I never had this happen there...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Lots of confused plants right now; unseasonable warmth has all sorts of plants here at the nursery flowering out of sequence. Rhodies in November?

I would leave well enough alone (unless you have access to a walk-in cooler somewhere) and hopefully Mother Nature will sort it all out. Dumping bags of ice on them will slow them, but hopefully cooler temps will save the day.

Global warming; it's not just a theory anymore... :(

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

We have had bulbs start to grow in the middle of January or February when we get a sudden thaw, and then of course, it all freezes again. The bulbs seem to survive this and come back again in the spring, so I am with Scott, just let them do their thing! :wink:
Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

I figured that had to be it. We've had highs in the 80s lately, when just a week ago we had lows in the 30s and a few freezes - for 10 days or so.

Me, I'm sick of t-shirts. Time for the sweaters already!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I seem to remember you saying that about six weeks ago Grey!! :lol:
Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

Yep.... it's still hot here. I am ready for winter (cooler weather at least).

We'll have a couple of nights in the 30s at the end of this week. Such weird weather.

dyvonnetxgal

Yeah, we are supposed to get a cold front this weekend. I do believe they said it should come in on Thursday. We will see if that will make up their mind.

Grey
Greener Thumb

It will freeze here tomorrow night, but then the next night in the high 30s. So I am not sure if that's enough for them to go back into "hibernation."

dyvonnetxgal

Well, I figured out which one of the many varieties of bulbs I planted wanted a serious head start. :x My paper whites!! :x Oh, well I can't do to much about them, I was so concerned because at first I thought it was my daffodils (Ice King) that were poking through. The paperwhites opened this week and we have had our real first round of cold weather. If I can call it that since it is only 55* right now and a low of 45* later. Well, I guess all of the other bulbs are doing what they were supposed to do was concentrate on their root system because I checked to make sure that none of the other bulbs were coming up. Just those impatient Paperwhites. I hope next year they will be on schedule and if not....I get to have lovely flowers in the winter time in my garden. :lol:

Grey
Greener Thumb

That's funny - because the ONLY bulbs of mine that were impatient were the paperwhites as well! I've just wrapped the container in red fabric and made it a Christmas decoration.

Now if we ever want to force bulbs in the future - we all know which one is the easiest to fool!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Paperwhites are one of the earliest to bloom in the spring, and since they had been dormant before you planted them, when they started getting all those nutrients and water from your garden, they though it was spring!

They are also very hardy, which is why they were probably the only ones to come up, as the rest thought it was toooo chilly out there! Just leave them to do their own thing, clip the flower when it dies, leave the leaves to die on their own, just like you would normally.
They will straighten themselves out, and bloom at the right time, if not this spring, then next spring. 8)
Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ah the #1 forcing bulb! Should have guessed it was them! :lol:

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You got it Scott! All you have to do is tempt paperwhites that there might be a possibility of blooming, and off they go!! :lol:

Val

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”