Grey
Greener Thumb

Ladybug season!

Tis that time of year again, when the ladybugs are swarming for a place to hide for the winter! Many people complain about these bugs getting in their homes and dying in their southern exposure windows. Here's some information on these critters:

Q. Why do ladybugs come into my house in the winter time?
A. Ladybugs are attracted to the light colored houses. Especially, homes that have a clear southwestern sun exposure. Older homes tend to experience more problem with aggregations due to lack of adequate insulation. The ladybugs come in through small cracks around windows, door ways and under clap boards. They want to hibernate in a warm, comfortable spot over the cold months of winter. Ladybugs gather in groups when they hibernate, so if you see one, you can be sure more will follow. The best way to keep them out is to repair damaged clap boards, window and door trim and to caulk small cracks.

Q. Once the ladybugs are in my house, will they eat anything?
A. No. Ladybugs don't eat fabric, plants, paper or any other household items. They like to eat APHIDS. Aphids are very small, but very destructive pest that feed on plants. (If you have rose bushes, you have probably seen aphids.) Ladybugs, while trying to hibernate in your house, live off of their own body fats. They, also, prefer a little humidity. But our homes are usually not very humid during the winter. In fact, they are rather dry causing most of your ladybug guests to die from dehydration. Occasionally, you might witness a ladybug in your bathroom getting a drink of water. Now, that's a smart lady!

Q. How can I get ladybugs out of my house?
A. If you don't have a lot, just leave them. They will leave when spring arrives. Disturbing them will only cause them to stress out leaving yellow markings on your walls. The yellow stuff, you see, is not waste matter, but rather, their blood. Ladybugs release a small amount of their blood which is yellow and smells, when they sense danger. Some people have said that it does stain on light colored surfaces.

Q. But, I really want the ladybugs out of my house!
A. Use a "shop vacuum". This type of vacuum is easy to use for collect ladybugs. When using this to vacuum up ladybugs, use a clean bag or pad the bottom with a cloth. After all is clean, release the unwelcome guests outside.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A timely topic Grey; the assault has started at my house. Some on every screen (time for those to come down too :oops: )

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I've never heard of that! I wonder where ours go? :?
Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

They probably come here, Val. When we bought our house, there were hundreds of dead ladybugs in the south windows.

And literally thousands in an old farmhouse we looked at.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

That's so sad, :cry: because up here if you find a ladybug, it's like finding treasure! We don't even see large quantities of them in places where we encourage them. Strange! :?
Val

Grey
Greener Thumb

It is sad.

I actually posted this here because on another forum I frequent, people were wanting to kill them all! They didn't think these ladybugs were the ones that eat aphids and all that, simply because they are an orangy-red color, not the brilliant bright red most people associate with ladybugs.

I actually got flamed because I said I take them outside and put them on my rosebushes!

Poor ladybugs. :cry:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Tell them they can send them up here!!! They would be more than welcome! :wink:
Val

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”