dave.blakemore
Newly Registered

Re-turfing Advice Needed

Hi All, new on the forum,

I am planning to redo my garden in a few weeks and need some advice. At the moment, the garden is uneven and full of weeds (doc leaves, nettles, etc). despite the weeds, there is some grass growing through.

My plan was to completely dig up and turn the soil, leveling it off as I go. I was then gonna treat the ground with weed killer to kill everything off. I was gonna leave that for a week or so and then re-turf or reseed it.

Does this sound like a bad plan? Is there a better way of doing it? I am worried about completely covering the ground in weed killer in case I cannot grow any grass.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Dave

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh geez... there are lots of us organic gardeners around here who hate the idea of poisoning your ground. You kill all the good stuff off with the bad. If what you want is lawn, check the lawn forum, there's probably a lot of good advice there. I don't even read that one, not being a lawn person (my goal is eventually to have no lawn at all). But in the meantime, just till everything under. Wait two or three weeks until all the weed seeds sprout and then till it again. Then you can seed or sod it and don't need to poison anything. (Yes you will still get a few weeds coming back, but so what. My lawn remnant is probably as much weeds as grass, but when you mow it, it all looks nice and green. )

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”