bordera
Newly Registered

broken branch on jade plant

My feisty kitty knocked my jade plant over. One of the 3 main branches broke nearly in half. The "tissue" was still connected, so I gave it a chopstick splint for a few weeks. I have done this in the past with other plants, except I usually use thread or yarn to attach the splint, and this time I used a wide piece of packing tape.

The plant looks healthy, and is sprouting new leaves where the old ones broke off; however, I removed the splint and the place where the branch broke looks as though it may have a little white mold in it, and it has hollowed out. It is not strong enough to stand on its own, plus it is nearly hollow…

What should I do? I am weary to cut off the branch, because then my jade will have 2 big branches and one short wimpy one. Or should I leave the chopstick splint and tie it on with a piece of yarn instead of tape? Will it heal?

If I do have to prune the branch back, how should I do it so as not to hurt the plant too much?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

There are two ways you could go with this. First you need to get rid of the mold - that is a sign of rot, which is why your stem is hollow. Cut away any tissue that has mold on it or appears to be rotting. Then spray it with a water diluted anti-bacterial soap. Wrap it again, (not with tape, because the tissue can't breath) with the stilt and give it another go.

Or you could bite the bullet, and prune it off. If the branch is quite long, you could try cutting off the rotting part, dipping it in rooting hormone, putting it in the soil and starting it again. Jade plants actually root quite easily.
When you do cut it off, try to cut it right above a leaf notch on the stem, so that new shoots will come from that. The part you have cut will seal itself off.
Best of luck with it, and let us know how it goes! :wink:
VAL

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

An anti bacterial soap will not do anything to prevent mold as mold is actually a fungus. So, I would actually recommend not using an antibacterial soap.

Also, if you use an antibacterial soap, you will be killing beneficial bacteria that live on the bark of your tree.

Just make sure that the wound is very clean, and wrap it.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That little bit of white mold makes me nervous, as the A#1 pest on jades is meallybug, which looks like little white fluff specks, and they're usually found right in the notches of branches and leaves...

HG

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

So......Insecticidal soap spray? :?
VAL

bordera
Newly Registered

Thank you for the suggestions. I cut off the branch at the break, which was coincidentally just above a new leaf sprout. I wiped off the mold, which turned out to be mossy green with some white, with a damp cloth dipped in white cider vinegar.

After a week the wound has healed over and the plant looks good. I just replanted it into a large pot, so it will be less top heavy and thereby (hopefully!) less susceptible to being tipped over by my cat.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I am glad it worked out for you. You will probably see a whole bunch of new growth now! :wink:
Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

True. A big foliage loss usually means a LOT of new budding...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”