JoS
Newly Registered

can anyone help me identify this flowering plant/

This will be the third time I've tried to upload a pic, I read the info posted here on how to do it, if it fails this time, I guess that's it for the pic. Hope it shows up this time![img][url=https://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010008.jpg][img=https://img291.imageshack.us/img291/4285/p1010008.th.jpg][/url]

[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

At first glance, I thought it was ground bindweed. Looking more closely, the leaves aren't quite right for that plant. I'm inclined to think it's probably a white Angel's Trumpet. I believe they are members of the Datura family. If I'm right, then be aware that all parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested. :)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Datura or Brugmansia (sp?), I can't tell the diff., but I'd call it Angel's Trumpet, too.

That's two votes... :roll:

JoS
Newly Registered

thanks for the reply. When my husband brought this home to me he said the man that sold it to him told him it was an angel's trumpet. I looked at a couple of angel's trumpets, and they don't look quite the same. Almost, but not quite. Just before the last frost the plant (there were actually two of them growing together) were so huge they were completely taking over their section of the flower bed. Now that I know how big they will get I would love to find another, or some seeds (they produce little seed pods, about an inch and a half in diameter, but so far I haven't been able to get any of the seeds to grow). Perhaps it is an angel's trumpet. I would love to grow it again. Thank you for your input!

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

You're welcome. They're tender annuals up here, and because of their poisonous nature I don't grow them. No room, anyway.

Burner

Ahhh, in Arizona the common name is Sacred Datura. They grow all over the place here, and were used by the Native Americans in rituals.
As stated, all parts are poisonous, and you should always wash your hands afterward if you handle them at all.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”