rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

gardening as a spiritual path

I posted this as a reply to someone in the Gardening Tips section > what makes a garden special, but it hasn't drawn any reaction, so I thought I'd put it in as its own thread, see if anyone is interested in this discussion.

I have a workshop I designed and have presented a couple times "Sacred Gardens: Gardening as a Spiritual Path". Gardening can be a spiritual practice in mindfulness, paying attention, slowing down. "Everything that slows us down and forces patience, everything that sets us back into the slow circles of nature is a help. Gardening is an instrument of grace." May Sarton. Gardening reconnects us to our senses and grounds us in reality, away from our computers (!) and all the tech. Gardening promotes closeness to creation and thus the Creator, oneness with nature, encountering the sacred. Joyce McGreevy in Gardening By Heart: The Extraordinary Gift of an Ordinary Garden, says to garden is to give up control, to fall literally to one's knees and come into closer and closer contact with the tremendous and often bewildering beauty of the living world. May Sarton again "In the garden the door is always open into the "holy" - growth, birth, death. Every flower holds the whole mystery in its short cycle..." There is a lovely little book on this topic called Zen Gardening, by Veronica Ray.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

One of our members was mourning the loss of a baby last year. In my reply, among other things, I wrote:

>>Gardening/working the earth has been recognized for its healing powers since at least the 6th century C.E. The Benedictine Order used gardening/growing as a meditative exercise, and (finally!) Western law enforcement is starting to use gardening as an exercise for inmates to heal themselves.

>>So it works for absolutely every kind of person: man, woman, child, sorrowing, raging, happy, calm, excited--anyone in pain, of whatever kind. <<

Several of us here at THG garden partially as a healing practice for chronic pain/illness/trauma of any kind.

You're right: it's hard to know where to locate such a discussion so that it will attract respondents.

People will find it when they need it, though. It's just that, for most people, it's *very difficult* to make the connection between gardening and emotional need. We're pretty clear on gardening + need to eat, gardening + love of beauty, and gardening + low-key, sustained exercise.

But gardening + emotional/spiritual connection is a little different....

...as you know.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

thanks for the nice response. I love your take on all this. The Dirt Poor Natl Geo article was very powerful and I absolutely agree re why aren't they thinking about compost for rebuilding soil? At the very least they have humanure, but if they grow anything there's organic wastes. They could raise a few chickens and have chicken manure... Anyway thanks for all your contributions to this forum. Since I discovered it, I have found it absolutely addictive! :)

Sharon Marie

I couldn't agree more with this forum. It is addictive. I've been reading loads of posts and threads. This thread is very touching to me. The very first plant I have ever raised is a peace lilly from my grandmothers funeral. It's still alive to this day. She passed in 1996 and she raised me as her own child under her roof. So, it was losing a parent to lose her. I do really enjoy to garden now more than ever. This is my first home and since there is already a flower garden here (along with lots of landscape) I have plenty to work on and keep me busy. It really is relaxing.

CharlieK

I, too, think these forums are addictive but have very redeeming characteristics. I particularly have enjoyed the composting and organic gardening forums. Until I joined this group, I just loaded up my truck with all kinds of bags, bottles and boxes from Lowes and went home and planted!

I have worked my compost since last Spring and am now about ready to plant much more simply, not to mention less expensively! I have enjoyed learning about earthworms and leaf mold. I have enjoyed the weekly turning and feeding. In fact, I am rather surprised how much enjoyment and relaxation it has provided me. It is definitely a route to a slower and more appreciative lifestyle. Just reading in the forums is relaxing to me and I always learn something!

Good topic! :D

Kalli007

I would like to expand on your theory, as I have a closely related one. I have worked in the Criminal Justice field for a decade (recently left it) and one of my beliefs is that we can lower the crime rate in an area by beautification, specifically gardening. I am entering the teaching field, and would like to look into the possibility of developing some sort of program for my area based on this theory.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

there is research to show that housing projects where the courtyards,etc are planted with trees and flowers have lower crime rates than ones where it's bare dirt. I thought that was pretty amazing. It may be partly just the effect of having greenery, shade, all the other things the trees and plants contribute. It may also be a general pride effect. Sort of like reducing the crime rate by cleaning up graffiti, fixing broken windows, getting rid of trash, which also works.

2cents
Green Thumb

No doubt there is a push in inner cities to move toward more trees and wider open spaces, not just because it looks better(more expensive for the city to maintain) but it decreases crime.
So much of what we see in the garden is the cycle of life. Just as it is hard to hate a little baby. Hence, many convicts would stand in amazement at the wonderment of baby corn plants coming out of the ground in long rows.

For some reason ever so seldomly, the wife enjoys pulling weeds, when she gets hold of a long running root she chatters like a little girl going to the ice cream shop,(uh uh, look how big this one is) it is music to the ears.

Anything that brings child like joy is spiritually rejuvenating. It is the cycle of life and brings us back to our youthful spirit. If you haven't gardened with a child in a while, it is fun to listen to them go on and on about planting, also as the plants spring up. Some of them can get sooooo excited.

I've helped started a few adults into this addictive behavior and some of them too get like little kids and go on and on about the cycle of plants in the garden.

Maybe it should be a requirement before parole? To watch and care for these little plants.

lahondaknitter
Newly Registered

I've been thinking about this topic ever since I came across it a couple of days ago. I just realized, that I started gardening on a more serious way after I quit drinking 25 years ago.

I was healing for me to dig the earth, plant seeds, see what worked and what didn't. I gave me somewhere to be, other than the bar.

I've explored all types of gardening over the 25 years and after doing not much over the last few years, I'm back at it, remembering all that useful information from so long ago.

These forums are great and I love reconnecting with my peeps!

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”