LauraElizabeth
Newly Registered

Weeds..

Inbetween the concrete slabs we have on the drive we seem to be getting some weeds.

I thought I killed them off last summer using Round-up weed killer.

My mother uses Jeyes Fluid and swears by it.

What do you use?

rootsy
Green Thumb

Broadleaf or grasses? BTW, Roundup (Glyphosate) is a non residual chemical. It only kills what it contacts by inhibiting photosynthesis. Therefore any seed that has not sprouted is unharmed. As well some "weeds" are developing a resistance to Glyphosate.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I'm not familiar with Jeyes Fluid. But I *have* used boiling water to kill weeds. It's especially effective on weeds whose roots are restricted, as yours are. I've used it on weeds in front of my house between blocks of sidewalk and in a crevice between some asphalt (!) on my side and the sidewalk on the other. These weeds (the asphalt/sidewalk ones) have about 1 inch of space.

Boiling water works well to weaken the roots so that the plants pull out easily. It also kills any seeds lurking about.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Sharon Marie

I'm definitely going to try the boiling water trick. That sounds way better than roundup. Can I do this on prepared soil before I plant my seeds to kill any weed seeds?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've planted in soil where I had previously used boiling water on ant hills. The "wanted" plants came up just fine. I watered them in with a weak solution of worm leachate (can't really call it "worm tea" :wink:) after waiting a couple of days to make sure that the ants had been sufficiently...

...discouraged. :twisted:

Cynthia

Sharon Marie

I will definitely do this! That is such a great idea. I've got a patio (pepple stone) and brick stacked around it, and weeds are always creaping up! It's a never ending battle!! I sure do thank you for this idea! Great for monther nature!!

rootsy
Green Thumb

propane torch works well to destroy seeds that are on or just beneath the surface. Also kills sprouted weeds... Just one of the management tools of the larger organic farmers...

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”