applestar
Mod

? uk mushroom compost being contaminated with herbicide ?

Please note that this is all speculation and brain exercise on my part -- don't want to cause any trouble or anything.... :roll:

The recent flurry of interest in mushroom compost got me thinking, especially with some UK members showing interest... In my area of U.S., "mushroom compost" is composted stable manure in which mushrooms were grown. Remembering the herbicide contaminated stable manure scare you had in the U.K., I starting thinking that the herbicide probably wouldn't have affected the growth of fungi, so the contaminated manure might have been diverted to the mushroom industry, then I got to wondering whether the herbicide then could be in the mushrooms... and whether the herbicide could still be active after the vigorous hot composting that the mushroom industry have put them through.... :?:

I did a quick search and came across this: https://allotmentssouthwest.aceboard.com/305009-2465-3615-0-Herbicide-contamination-compost-containing-manure.htm

Any other info out there? Food for thought as we gear up towards the spring growing season.... :wink:

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”