Oregonnovice
Newly Registered

Please help identify my sick little flowers

Hello everyone. I'm a very new gardener and was hoping someone could help me identify some flowers under a large pine tree in my backyard. I was thinking they might be hydrangeas, but the leaves look too long and pointy? Anyway, I didn't plant them and we've lived here about 5 years with three german shepherds in the backyard, to trample everything but the trees! Since these have proven so hardy by surviving long enough for me to notice them, I thought I should try to save their poor little lives. Difficult, until I know what they are. :oops:

Each individual "stalk" is about 2 1/2 ft. tall, with flower blossoms in a ball at the top of the stalk. The little blossoms look sort of like honeysuckle blossoms, but less fragrant. Must like shade, as this spot only gets about 2 hrs. of sun a day. Identifying would be great and any additional help with care/suggestions would be even better!

Thanks everyone! :)

'https://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/B3/C2/DamronsFamily/1/1.jpg'[/img]

Oregonnovice
Newly Registered

That picture came out pretty small. You can just go to our little "group" site and look at it there, too.

https://groups.msn.com/DamronsFamily

Thanks again!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Easy one; that's a Phlox paniculata, probably 'David' (I.d'd from the lack of mildew).

Scott

Oregonnovice
Newly Registered

I'm so grateful for your help. These flowers were really pretty this past summer and amazingly hardy and carefree. I hope to help them come back even stronger next year.

It was great to be able to look them up and get some care instructions (like cutting them down to around 2 inches around the end of next month and watering from the ground up, instead of over their heads).

Thanks again! I've bookmarked your wonderful website and I'm sure I'll refer to it often. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Happy to help (it's what we do... :D )

HG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”