bali

Anyoone doing Orchids ? Here is mine today in zone 5 ,

Had this plant for 4 years now an it blooms 2 times a year, and is getting bigger each time.
I also have pink , and yellow ..

Phil.. something is the names.

[img]https://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/Racetowom/2009%20%20jan%201/IMG_7140.jpg[/img]

bali

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think it's something like phalanoepsis. Very healthy-looking! :D

My cymbidiums have several spikes and look like they'll be opening up within the next week. They're hardy outdoors to 28 or so deg. F (-2 or 3 deg. C), but haven't been challenged on that score since the week before Christmas, when we had hard frost. We're "supposed" to be having cold weather and lots of rain in the northern California winter, but it's been all warm, dry sunshine. :evil:

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

bali

What color does yours bloom?

i have white, pink, it has bloomed but is slow this time.
Yellow is a baby yet no bloom.........It is zone 5 here and I grow them inside .. they are on the window sill and grow great.. Seem to like the cool .......

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

My cymbidiums are the cream-colored with pistachio centers.

However, my across-the-street neighbor gifted me with over a dozen supposedly dead cymbidium plants in late October for the hauling.

They're putting out new growth, but I haven't seen any spikes yet. Maybe next season.

Cynthia

applestar
Mod

Here are mine, flowering right now:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image3582.jpg[/img]
Close Ups:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image3586.jpg[/img] [img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image3588.jpg[/img]

The first one is a Philadelphia Flower Show purchase labeled as "BLC Ann Kimi x SLC Vallezac". I think it's some kind of a Laelia Cattelya hybrid, but it has a sweet fragrance that I just LOVE! The second one is a Phalaenopsis hybrid, and you can see the flower stalk of a third orchid (another Phalaenopsis) bearing buds in the background. :D
Last edited by applestar on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sienna Dawn

Ooohhh.... purdy!!
"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value."
--Thomas Paine

bali

Oh gorgous.

Philly orchid.........

I thought the other was a blackberrylily.

my cattleya wont do a thing...Does it take lots of heat/

b

Sharon Marie

Wow, those are very pretty. Do you have to keep orchids inside or out? I see them at the store but I'm too "scared" to get one, they look hard to take care of. Advise? I'd like to get a flowering plant indoors. Something really unique. Any suggestions?
Reduce - Reuse - Recycle.
Zone 6A - Jeffersonville, Indiana

bali

zone 5 ........Inside .
north window

keep water under them.

Phil.
os easiest.

JustPeachy

Wow guys! Beautiful Orchids! I would love to get into growing orchids, but I don't know a lot about what they need. Might be my next venture...

BTW... Has anyone ever heard of growing vanilla bean orchids in your own home? That would be awesome.
;)

bali

Peachy
In nc you can do anything.. Orchids do well there.

Just read the directions on the tag.

Use Orchid soil
Keep water under it if it is a phal. i have 3 of those in zone 5.. so your set good..Go for it. the older the plant the earlier the blooms.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”