Are you for or against illegalization of nursery sold invasives?

For
80%
Against
20%

Total votes: 10
The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Lots of views; no opinions?

Lets hear it, people! We encourage a diverse range of views here; 222 viewers and only 5 votes, all for illegalizing invasives. Is there no one who is clinging to their burning bush? Hugging their barberry? (Ouch!) I am happy to give equal time to opposing viewpoints...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Not sure if you had a particular type of plant in mind when you said "invasives" but, two invasive plants that I love are mint and Jerusalem artichokes. JA's are hard enough to come across as it is and if it were illegal for Nurseries to sell them, it would be a major pain in my side.
As far as invasive plants like Canola. Well, I think it remains to the context of who is buying them and where they are planting them. My 4th cousin has four sections of wheat, barley, Canola, peas, Flax and so on and doesn't have a problem when rotating and his farmland has been used by the family since the 1860's. In fact, my great great great great grandfather was a scout in the Riel Rebellion. Anyway, that is beside the point.
90 percent of Canada's natural grasslands are actually located in BC and 2 percent of BC is natural Grassland. If you take those simple statistics into consideration, invasive Canola really only affects farmland and not natural ecosystems so..... well, I leave the decision u to you. But, I say pick your battles.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Two dissenters on the poll but no dissenting posts.

Really folks, this is a forum for discussion of the subject; I'd like to hear why as all sides of this subject should be discussed openly. Y'all know my opinion here, but I also feel we need to work with the industry so no one take a financial bath. New Hampshire gave three years notice to allow nurseries to get out of the stock they now hold, but I know we sart cutting and sticking here five years ahead. What's the happy medium?

Scott

Brunkers
Newly Registered

Against.... but only for the Burning Bush.....I need all the plant material I cant get up here in AK...and it grows up here and it looks pretty so thats the only reason, I guess I will be for it for you guys but up here, its not as big of deal.

Brunkers

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, as far as the illegalization of foreign invasives, I'm for it. I have but one example: Skotch Broom. Apparently all of the Broom on Vancouver Island (and it is everywhere) was either started from two seeds or two plants. I'm not sure which.
Broom currently chokes out the natural Flora and destroys habitat for local Fauna. Their shouldn't really need to be a law against planting invasive species of plants, people should just use common sense. If you live in Scotland and you want to move to North America, for god sakes DON"T bring plants from Scotland to North America and plant them around everywhere. :roll: It's just common sense.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Brunkers and Opa raise a good point. The USDA put Imperata on the Invasives list because of the plants weediness in the South; I have never seen a big issue up here. The invasive issue needs to be handled at the state, not federal level...

Anonymous

Against

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks for the vote Sarah, but can you say why you are against illegalization of these plants? We are interested to hear the other viewpoint...

Scott

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Well, folks, seeing what purple loostrife is doing to our 'Up North" country; the heartwrenching decimation of forests by imported pests, etc., etc., I say "yes", I am dismayed that catalogs push the already overplanted in place of sturdier natives or "heirlooms". How long before we lose our maples, beeches, birches, firs, etc., to the next undiscovered pest? (Rhetorical question--no need to answer). Personally, any plant beginning with the letter "L" is off my list. Lysmachia, Loostrife (well, Liatris can stay...), you get the picture. All seem to take over anything in their way.

I'm working on some plans for mostly sandy soil (a term used loosely) and find that my available options are limited, according to the federal and state invasive/noxious (love that word!) lists. Well, at least I have a little time before I can work out in the yard, so I can keep hunting.

Happy Gardening,

Wingdesigner

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, all very valid commments. It is interesting how people strive to grow plants in areas where the plants are not native. Case in point; Impatients. In the US and Canada people work incredibly hard to try and grow impatients in their gardens but, in Costa Rica they grow as a weed. Why? Why? Why? Be happy with what you have and let it be.
Though, I am somewhat of a hippocrate saying this because I am planting eggplant in my garden this year and I'm not even sure if Solidago and angellica are native. I guess the key is: Everything in moderation and do your research. If you know a plant is invasive, don't plant it, be a part of the solution not a part of the problem.
Last edited by opabinia51 on Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Wing, sandplain prairie is the most endangered ecotype in the U.S. so you can do a great deal of good by using those native plants that need those conditions to grow and prosper (don't worry there are some pretty ones too! :lol: )

Rather than try and give you a list of prairie plants (not a specialty) I will refer you to my friend Neill Diboll at Prairie Nursery. He has a mix for whatever area you'd like, from dry shade to tall grass prairie to no-mow lawn. Meadow and prairie are incredibly productive ecosystems that are as low-maintenance as gardening gets, and they're beautiful to boot...

Check out Prairie Nursery at [url]https://www.prairienursery.com[/url] or call at 800-476-9453 for a catalog. Neill's one of the great native garden proponents out there; been doing it long before it was cool and we are happy to send you his way; tell him The Helpful Gardener sent ya! :D

Scott

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Opa,

We're posting all over each other here. :D Archangel is eurotrash and a nasty invasive here in Connecticut (made our state list). Don't go there my friend...

HG

P.S. Solidago is as native as it gets in North America but find out what grows in your neck of the woods (Another chance to plug my buddy Wild Bill Cullina's books;Wildflowers and Native Trees, Shrubs and Vines, I'll take it... :lol: Really great books benefiting the oldest native plant society in the Americas)

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes the actual full name of the plant is Solidago canadensis and I am acquiring it from my local organic nursery so, come to think of it, she is as anal as it gets about that stuff.

Archangel????? Did I put a typo up there? I have angellica but, I don't know the species. Just the genus. It sure likes the soil in my veg garden.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Scott, way (well, maybe not way) ahead of you--already got my catalog and will be making suggestions from it. I hope to get up there this Spring to check out any ephemerals that may be peeking up to say "hi"; and make a list of what I see already. This is also the place with the mound septic system, swale, and fluctuating lake levels. Lots of challenges. Thanks for the suggestion, though; keep 'em comin'!

Happy Gardening.

Wingdesigner

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Angelica archangelica is the beastie I speak of Opa. Done a number on one of my favorite camping areas...BAD :evil:

I have never been to Prairie Nursery (indeed all my time in Wisconsin involves train trips from boot camp to avoid a 21 yr old drinking limit in Illinois) so I will have to live vicariously. I have, however, met Neill a few times and talked on the phone a few more, so please tell him I said howdy if you see him. He's one of my heroes in the native plant world and actually got to study with Aldo Leopold, whom I consider the true father of the American ecological movement and there ain't NOBODY out there who knows more about building a prairie from scratch (check out the website for speaking dates; he talks around there a lot).

I still say prairie is the way to go for that job; glad to see you agree :D

Scott

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”