Celeferguson

Where is the Cacti Forum?

I'm big into cacti, but I can't seem to find the cactus forum anywhere. Does this site even have one?

webmaster
Site Admin

That's a good question. Anyone else think we should add one?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Wouldn't cacti be considered a Perennial or a Native Plant? We have forums for those.

If we *do* add a forum, maybe it can be Succulents, to cover the wide range of both cacti and their non-thorny relatives.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Yes, I think we should have a Cacti/Succulent forum, especially since I've been referring all those poor newcomers there for months, now. :roll: :oops: C'mon, make me look like I know what I'm talking about for once...

webmaster
Site Admin

Should I make the Succulent & Cacti Forum a sub-forum of Perennials? Or should succulents and cacti have their own section altogether. I would much prefer the new forum be it into an existing category as a sub-category.

But if it makes more sense to create it as it's own forum then so be it. ;)

Opinions please. :) :idea:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Don't care. Whatever is easiest for thee, WM. I think it would be easier to find info relative to C/S if separated out somehow. I didn't think you had sub-forums, anyway. Or whatever you said. :?: Cripes, if lilacs can have their own space, then so should C&S.

Also, I've noticed that the questions for ID-ing plants are scattered all over the place, which maybe no one else finds confusing; however, maybe make a separate "What the heck is this plant?" (OK, "Mystery Plant ID Corner"--hmm, that sounds like Mystery Science Theatre 3000...) section?

applestar
Mod

I object! :wink:
I'd like to make the observation that when I first joined the forum, I needed an ID on a woody plant, so I put my question in the Tree/Shrub forum. It *could* have been a lilac or a fruit tree (but it turned out to be an elm tree sapling). To me, it seemed to be the most likely place to put the question. And as some people have pointed out before, "experts" in the various forums tend to check their own favorites first and are more likely to be able to ID the plant in question. (Although my usual habit is to click on the search link for my own posts first, then on search link for "new posts since last visit" 8) )

Cactus/succulents -- I guess the difficulty arises since there is such a global readership of this website. From MY perspective, cactus/succulents are basically container plants! :roll: :lol: Hmm, well, now that I've thought about it, I have a yucca, eastern prickly pear cactus, and hens & chicks in my back yard.... :oops: No help here on that account. May be easiest to have their own forum. :)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I think it would work under Perennials. I've got jade out front that, by the report of the folks who owned this house before, has been there for almost 40 years.

Sounds like a Perennial to me.

Regarding lilacs: I've always been confused as to why they aren't a sub-forum under Trees anyway.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If I were new here and looking for information about cacti & succulents, I would look under Container Gardening. No cactus would live very long if planted in the ground outdoors in my area. JMO. :)

Celeferguson

The mystery plant forum would be great if you ask me. Even though one could put their "ID me now!"s into the tree forum or whatever it may seem to be most like, a lot of the UPs (unidentified plants :wink: ) are in the state of " I don't even know if its a tree or a lemur! :?: :?: :?: ", so many might not even know what forum it would fall under :? . Adding a new branch specifically for UPs would also tidy up the other forums. :)

Oh, and PS:
Who wants to equate the happy little perrenials with a spiny bunch of potted who knows what?
They're a bit too radically and genitically different to be "growing in the same pot/forum" if you ask me.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

IMHO, Cactus and Succulent should have it's own forum. These plants are quite unique like Roses, Bonsai, etc. As for the Plant ID'ing section - great idea; what about puting a section for this under Gardening Tips? :D

Thank you Webmaster and Moderators for all you do to make this forum so wonderful. Although, only here for a little over a month, I just can't seem to get enough and have learned so much. Thanks again!!! :D

applestar
Mod

C/S -- same op as before.
Re: Mystery Plant forum -- I had an idea:

How about we DO have a Mystery Plant forum, then if and when it IS identified,
(1) the subject line gets changed to "Mystery Plant --> Chocolate Flower" or whatever (What you never heard of Chocolate Flower? I just bought some -- can't wait to they flower! :wink: )
(2) AND the whole thread gets moved to appropriate forum (extra work for the moderators, but you do seem to move them every so often, so I'm hoping it's not a complicated proces.... :D

sean117Ply
Cool Member

The answer is yes! This site needs a cacti/succulent forum :D

-Sean :wink:

webmaster
Site Admin

It's late... (tiptoes through the forum...)

BAM!

Ooo my toe! :shock:

What was that? (flips on the light :idea:)
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
It's a [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38]Cactus forum[/url]! :)

sean117Ply
Cool Member

:lol:

They do listen :D

Thank you

-Sean :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

THANK YOU! :D

Big Vine

This is great...I've got a few I'll have to show off in the new folder! 8)
BV

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:It's late... (tiptoes through the forum...)

BAM!

Ooo my toe! :shock:

What was that? (flips on the light :idea:)
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
It's a [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=38]Cactus forum[/url]! :)
:lol:

Great work and humor included! Thank you. 8)

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Oooh, cactus spines under the toenails, sounds like torture to me. :o

Thanks for getting it up and running, WM. Didja see the last CSI (Vegas) where some guy had a saguaro fall on him? Looked like he'd seen the inside of an Iron Maiden (not the rock group).

webmaster
Site Admin

>>>saguaro fall on him?

Ha! How does a saguaro fall on anybody? :?

Gotta' look that one up on YouTube Wingy.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Oh, BTW, (pat, pat) for getting this section up and running.

Is CSI on YouTube? They don't actually show it (or I was watching hockey and missed it), just the aftermath. Story goes he was working for a landscape company and they were trying to move it without proper equipment. Personally, if I had to tackle something 5 times my size and covered in spikes, I'd pass. In my younger years I always ducked tackles when I saw them coming, or sat out. I got knocked unconscious twice and said something to the effect of "Touch football, my ***!!" Squamish is much more user friendly--but that's for Hoo-Ha & Foo, I don't feel like hijacking this one any further... :roll:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Guys will go dig saguaro in the desert; but somehow they all call from "private property"... when they dig them they blanket them as best they can and then ball them like you would a tree. Woe be unto you if it falls your way; a 100 year old twelve footer can weigh a ton.

They are even being [url=https://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/03/saguaro-national-park-cactus-cacti-theft-radio-id-chips-rfid.php]stolen out of state parks[/url]

Some folks are [url=https://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_4_217/ai_n26706686/]rescuing saguaros and other cactus[/url]from development...

So it's a big plant group with a lot going on; I am happy to see the new Forum and agree it was needed. Thanks Roger!

HG

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”