Ann1e

Staghorn Fern

Last year I had a staghorn fern mounted by a local plant nursery. In the summer I put it on a wall outside, under the awning on the south side. It didn't do well there... it may have been too hot. I brought it in for the winter and placed it on a wall in my bathroom, thinking that the moisture from showers would be beneficial. I water it about twice a week in the shower. Bathroom is on the south side of the house but the plant does not get direct sun. I have another one in the kitchen that is not mounted and is doing very well. It was larger to begin with. My question is: How can I get it to look better and grow. (Leaves look a little limp and are small). Should I fertilize it or just leave it alone for now. In the warmer weather would it do better outside on a roofed porch on the north side?

pd

Hi Ann1e, There are more than one type of Platyceriums but the one mostly grown as a house plant is P. bifurcatum. which is native to Australia and will tolerate a dry atmosphere more than others.

Keep in good light but not in direct summer sun. When potting use a very humus rich compost or a mix of sphagnum moss and leaf-mould. Water the plant in the hollow formed behind the arching leaves; use tepid water and never from the cold supply especially during winter. Water only when dry, but not prolonged dryness.

In the wild the Platycerium is epiphytic on trees and gets its nourishment from moisture and humus which collects behind the fronds.

The optimum temperature for P. bifurcatum is 45-55F Oct to March; 60-70F March to Oct. Others are from more tropical regions and require higher temperatures and humidity.

[url]https://www.raffia.plus.com/[/url]

Ann1e

Thank you. I think I was watering it too much. The areas of the leaves attached to the basal leaf have been turning brown and falling off. I was watering it only once a week but the nursery that mounted it told me that they water theirs twice a week........so I started to do that. I tried to water it in the shower and aimed the water on the bark behind the area it is attached to. I also brought it downstairs yesterday because it may have been too cool for it now that winter is almost here. I gave it a little african violet fertilizer once but I think it might need a little Miracle Gro regular plant fertilizer..... I hope it will start to look better soon. I do think that the deck on the south side of the house gets too hot for it in the summertime, despite the awning.

pd

Don't be concerned about the small arching leaves at the base turning papery and brown; that is quite natural.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”