sundance
Newly Registered

Tacca Bat Plant

Help!!
I have a bat plant that has been doing really well. I went away for a few days and it got left out in the frosts. Needless to say it isnt looking very well. I have bought it in and put it in the bathroom. The leaves were all dried and shrivelled so I have cut them off, there are one or 2 small ones that look like they may have survived, do you think it will, or shall I give up the ghost?

Linny
Cool Member

NO! No giving up of the ghost here!!! It has been my experience that if the plant shows any sign of life it will come back. Sometimes even if it shows no sign of life it will come back. Just provide the same care for it you always have. I had a Spider plant hanging from an Oak limb. It was huge and very healthy. One day it was missing. Just missing.

My husband found it about six months later under the porch! We figured about the only thing that could have happened was that our dog yanked it down and carried it under the porch to chew on. We deduced this because there were several chew marks on the pot! Anyway, I pulled all the brown crispy leaves from the pot and found one tiny little nub of green at the surface of the dirt. I put it right back where it had been, just a little higher so the dog could not reach it, and today it's as big and healthy as ever!

BTW, I did not know what a Tacca Bat plant was. I googled it and decided I have to have one! Beautiful plant. Good luck.

Linny

sundance
Newly Registered

Thanks Linny, fingers crossed that it will recover!! I recall some years ago when I had moved house and the new house had a big compost heap in the garden. There was a money plant just dumped on the top that looked like it was dead. I bought it in, potted and watered etc and 11 years later it is huge!! Was worried about the bat plant as the frost had got at it and it should really have been in! They are beautiful plants, I have the black one but there are white ones. Sadly there are not suited to our English winters.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”