racklebuzzard
Newly Registered

plants that need staking?

I have quite a few plants that can't seem to support themselves. Do I just use peony cages on all these? Any other suggestions? I have never had this happen before! The plants are: yarrow, sedum, shasta daisy, asters, per. salvia....
Thanks!

Grey
Greener Thumb

Some people take green-coated rebar on either side of a row of flowers that are falling over, and run some green string around the rebar so the flowers are supported on both sides and don't fall. This is my favorite option as it isn't obvious like cages can be.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I am personally a large fan of cedar stakes. I believe that the coating used to preserve the rebar is an endocrine disrupter but, don't quote me on that.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Really? An endocrine disruptor? ICK! The things they don't tell you!
:shock:

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I have built wooden "frames" for many of mine. I used 1/2" square slats, cut them to length, and wired them together into the shape I needed. I left them to go naturally grey and they blend right in!

Also for some of the single plants - Iris, lily, etc. I have about 3' length of heavy weight wire that I have then made a small circle at the end of and flattened it to a right angle with the rest of the wire, leaving an opening to put the plant stem through. Just stick your wire in the groung, and the circle around the stem, and it's stands up! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Tracy DiSabato-Aust recommends twigs off of trees, pruned down some and stuck in early so that the plant grows up through it (if you want to learn how to garden, read her book The Well-Tended Perennial Garden)...BUT...

The list of plants is almost all dry, full sun types. Cracking open in the middle and flopping in a circle can be a humidity or watering issue amongst this crew (Shastas are the exception, although they often crack in humidity, it's hard to overwater them). Has the shade increased on this border? (That would make them lanky). Is this year three or four for this garden? Could just be time to divide...

Scott

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”