wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Interesting weekend

Our National Weather Service issued flood warnings for us here in Meesheegan on behalf of not one but two storm systems, the last being the tailfeathers of hurricane Ike. Sometime on Saturday, the NWS also confirmed an F2 tornado hit with winds exceeding 120mph. Roofs ripped off of apartment buildings and deposited on other buildings, brick veneer stripped off the sides of buildings, trees and cars tossed around, power outages, the usual. Whole thing lasted less than three minutes, plowing a path from Plymouth to Livonia, MI. Thing dropped out of nowhere--no warnings, no radar hook echoes, no sirens, nada. Can't wait to see what havoc has been wrought at work when I report back on Monday...
Interesting weekend.

dinker

I sure hope every thing is ok for you.
Its horrible how tornados can destroy so much in a matter of minutes.
And the fact that alot of people don't pay any attention unless they sound the siren.We had a weather man on a night that there were tornados popping up all over say people when we say sever storm warning with a posibility of tornado means just that.
The storm spotter's sound the siren if they see it meaning if they tail hangs down before the tornado drops. But if it just drops they don't see it till it hit's so there is no time to sound the siren. I think he made his point loud and clear. But after that he was no longer on they got a new weather man.
My oldest daughter and her family was hit by a micro burst about a year ago. There was no storm's She heard a noise looked out the kitchen window at that moment it blew out all the windows in the house except the one in front of her face. It destroyed their house. My grandaughter who was up stairs in bed watch the roof go up in the air and set back down
that happend the same time it blew the windows out.My 2yr old grandsons room the only thing left was him in his little bed.THANKFULLY beside's some cut's from flying glass and my daughters torn muscle from getting the kids and her DH sore head he was knocked out they we all ok
It was a hard leason on what was really important

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

I live about 5 miles from the tornado's path and yet we had no remarkable winds, no inkling of the disaster happening down the road. I overheard conversation at a restaurant Sunday and then checked local news sources on the Internet to discover what had happened. Mostly what was covered was the flooding in SE MI. I got told not to come in today as there was no work; hence I won't know until later if all **** has broken loose. It used to take a few days to trickle down to my office, but the past few years that hasn't been the case. So now I just wait and see. At this stage of my life I'd really like a steady, well-paying job with benefits, not this current situation. I'm recovered enough from surgery to handle an 8-to-4 job, but so far few leads and no callbacks. But that's fodder for another thread. Thank you for your concern; at this corner of town, we're all fine, this time.

rootsy
Green Thumb

7 1/2 inches of rain from late Thursday thru Sunday at my place over here in Hillsdale Co. Ground was so dry (it is well draining sandy loam also) that most of the standing water is already gone and I was cutting pumpkins last night without any mud stuck to the boots...

Basement is a bit wet though....

dinker

Wing I'm glad it didnt hit where you are. 5 miles is a little to close.
I do understand the frustration about job hunting these day's. A few yrs ago the company I worked at for 15yrs closed and moved with out warning It took a long time to get another one.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Wet basement? Ugh.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”