stacimull
Newly Registered

What to do with sweet potato vine in winter????

I lucked into a sweet potato vine bulb last spring. It's beautiful now. I have it in a pot. My question is, in Texas, what do I do with it over the winter? Can I put it in the ground? Do I have to bring it inside? Will it live inside over the winter? HELP, please!!!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't know what your winter temperatures are like in your area. My grandmother, who lived in Illinois, had a sweet potato vine that she kept indoors all year. It was lovely, too. :)

If yours has been outdoors all summer, you will probably have to slowly acclimate it to being indoors.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

They are quite sensitive to frost, so when the temps get into the 40's overnight I'd start looking for an appropriate spot. An east or west facing window might be good. They will need lots of water (but not wet soil) and if your house is dry, an occasional misting to increase humidity. Expect a lot of leaf drop and prune it back if there's a lot of growth. I kept one living through the winter, but it was so scraggly and took so long to fill out in the spring, I didn't try it again. Besides, my cats were munching on it! We get them as annuals up here from the local box stores. Perhaps you'll have better luck than me.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”