cromwell
Newly Registered

Cutting back

When is it best to cut back the flowering perennials and shrubs to promote good growth for next year? Is it always best to cut back 'hard'?
Would October be the best time? Also- could I cut back some of my flowering plants now and hope for a sunny September and some renewed flowering action then?
Any tips much appreciated!
Cheers.
James

minnesota_girl

It depends on what you would like to cut back. Some spring blooming shrubs produce buds before winter and wouldn't like to be cut back in the fall. Those shrubs should be cut back after blooming. Hydrangeas are very odd when it comes to cutting back. Some in spring, some in fall. It depends on if they flower on new or old wood, and that depends on the kind of hydrangea you grow.
Also- could I cut back some of my flowering plants now and hope for a sunny September and some renewed flowering action then?
Okay, this also depends on what we are working with. Often you will get daylilies to rebloom but more August then september. Coreopsis often bloom again, in fact I haven't deheaded mine yet and they still have plenty of buds. On the other hand lilies won't rebloom deheading or not. Some will and some won't.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”