pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2023 What's the Weather like Where You Are?

In this area we had the second warmest January and February on record, but now March has started out colder than average, and miserable, with all this rain. At least it's not snow!

imafan26
Mod

It's 57 degrees. That is what it was in February. The season has taken a step backwards. Otherwise it is sunny and clear. At least the sun does come up earlier.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:35 pm
It's 57 degrees. That is what it was in February. The season has taken a step backwards. Otherwise it is sunny and clear. At least the sun does come up earlier.
We have had one afternoon this Winter when the thermometer reached 50°f (10°C). As I said 2 days ago the Winter hasn't been very cold, at all. But, it would be nice if mid-March was a little less wintery.

The little snowstorm added up to 5" on the ground but where the sun was shining earlier, the ground is no longer frozen and air temperature was a little above freezing yesterday afternoon and already now in late morning, today. The snow may still hang around awhile but we are supposed to have a mix of snow & rain tomorrow and continuing.

The first of the eggplant seedlings have made it to the South Window but with the clouds - nothing is getting much sunlight. Tomorrow before the rain starts, it is supposed to be sunny. These few hours of sunshine as we go along is of value to the plant starts. They are too young to have reserves and patience. We were all young once and know how that was :wink: . The days for more sowing of seed is on my calendar.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

22°f this morning.

applestar
Mod

Woke up to yet another gusty windy day — at least 3rd… maybe4th day in a row.

I really don’t like going outside when it’s like this. I do the usual perimeter check in case of wind-blown debris and possible chance of falling limbs, but even when “safe enough”, the buffeting winds on my skin get on my nerves like there’s some primitive warning siren going inside my head…. :?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

30°f this morning. TV says, about 20°f every morning for 3 more days.

imafan26
Mod

It has been nice and sunny the last few days. There is a stationary front and the winds are from the south, so it is a warm 78 degrees right now. I am going to enjoy it while I can, another front is edging close and will probably bring more rain in the beginning of next week.

California is feeling the full force of the atmospheric river. We are just under it so most of it falls on the ocean and we get some showers from it. When the heavier bands come by, we do get flooding as well, but it is not as bad as California.

applestar
Mod

Some super low temps being reported in midwest and southeast — Wow. I hope your gardens and orchards pull through.

Some of this will depend on ground temp and how many hours the extreme lows persist.

I hadn’t been paying attention so had me to check the future forecast for here, but it looks like whatever this is, it’s not making it out to this area — low of 26°F this morning, couple more subfreezing lows — that are completely normal, then 60’s daily high starting Tuesday for the rest of the week that is NOT normal.

Historically, average last frost here is last week of April/first week of May….

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

About 8:40 am it snowed hard, funny lots of people on FB talking about the 20 min blizzard.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Got down to 27° out back this morning, and it is still 30° at 11 am, and very windy. I have nothing that I need to do out there!

imafan26
Mod

Band 8 on the GOESWEST sattelite image, you can see the atmospheric river moving toward California.
https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/goes/f ... hp?sat=G17

It is 78 degrees. The skies are overcast. More rain is expected around Tuesday when another low is expected to bring up more moisture from the South.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is 17°f this morning. Very low humidity makes it feel much colder. Cold goes right through 2 jackets and 2 shirts.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It was 42° at 11 am - 12° above yesterday, at the same time. Low 50s forecast for today - about average, for this date - and later in the week into the 60s. Getting more like spring now, starting later today!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Miserable day, yesterday and today, .62", then .29" so far today, with mist still coming down. Only brief periods of almost brightness, but then it would be wet again. Only up to 52° briefly, but usually in the 40s both days. Tomorrow is supposed to get to 60°, but very windy; I wasn't really going to do much out there, however.

And now I hear another thunderstorm coming through at midnight! So far, .30" by 12:25 am

imafan26
Mod

It is 73 degrees and overcast. It was a nice sunny day today. Rain has been in the forecast. I am sure it is raining somewhere. Most of the rain fell on the windward side of the island. There has only been brief light showers. More rain is expected by midweek.

A couple of days ago there was a lot of thunder but the rain came much later in the night. There was quarter sized hail in a couple of places. It is unusual because those places are usually warm.

That seems to be the pattern for the last couple of weeks rain starting on Tuesday or Wednesday and lasting till Friday and clearing for the weekend, only until the next front arrives when the week begins. The winds keep shifting directions. Some days like today the winds are only 6-8 mph and on other days it will be quite breezy and things in the yard will start rolling around again.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It is incredibly sunny today - not a hint of any clouds in the sky! Been a while since I saw that, and it was only brief! That TS that came through last night finished quickly, with .32". As forecast, it is very windy, so the 60° expected won't be feeling like that!

imafan26
Mod

It is 65 degrees. I can see the sky! There are a lot of clouds on the windward side of the mountains and a few clouds to the west, but it is wide open above. The winds are calm. The only times I appreciate the cooler temperatures are when the winds are calm. Humidity is 83% so if it was hot, it would not be this nice. Unless the wind picks up, clouds will build in the afternoon and then maybe there will be a few sprinkles.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got to 65° today, with sun, until about 2:30 pm, and it started getting very dark, and raining about 2:45, so I had to come back inside. Sun came out again briefly, and about 5:15 the rain started again. Only up to .12", but still raining. Not supposed to rain again until next Friday, but much cooler forecast, until Friday, and Saturday could be our first 70° day of the season.

imafan26
Mod

It I 4:30 pm and it is overcast and dark. It started raining around 1 p.m. and it is raining intermittently. It is 74 degrees now. It was nice this morning, it just did not last. It will be raining intermittently for the next few days as this next front passes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We survived 6 hours of tornados last night. First round of storms came through at 8 pm. TV News calls them, Train Storms, because several super cell storms are in a 400 mile line like cars on a freight train. There was 3 lines of storms side by side the center row of storm were coming at us. Channel 2 has Doppler radar it showed rotation of several tornados from TN & KY to the far side of Mississippi. Wind was very loud & lots of stuff hitting the house, probably small sticks. Video security cameras can see in the dark, videos are amazing the air is full of trash blowing it all directions. Street lights make it easy to see trees sway back and forth. No trees down here but 2 blocks away 1 very large tree is in the road. TV reported 40 house on the east side of our town damaged, 10 houses destroyed, 2 people injured. I-24 traffic cam shows tornado crossing the interstate highway a few miles north of us. Most of what we see on Nashville TV news is, Nashville News. The last storms went through at 2 pm then we want to bed. Channel 2 news tends to make it sound as bad as they can.

8:15 am videos are just now coming on TV of all the storm damage. Helicopter video looks like hit and miss damage every where.

Todays forecast, wind gusts 35 mph, sunny & high of 77°f. More storms Wed.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

Glad you’all were OK.
Hope your garden came through with minimal damage too.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Glad you were spared the brunt of those storms, Gary! And I hope that you all are spared, in this upcoming storm season.

imafan26
Mod

It is 74 degrees and overcast. I watered the garden this morning and there was 0.5 inches of water in the rain gauge. The plants are not really dry, but it may not rain enough to keep them happy another day.

I'm glad you came through the storms o.k.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

How did you fare in this storm line that came through? Looks like the worst went N, up in your area.

I was just on the phone with my cousin, to see how she was faring, as there were tornado warnings N of Philly. The temperature here dropped quickly, about 8°, in 30 min., with more to come. Seems the worst is going N of me, and earlier South, in DE, but the worst in this area hasn't come yet, as it is just crossing the DE river.

And at 7:15 it was over me, while I was talking to her - hail, but only the 1/4" stuff, not the golf ball or quarter sized, they were talking about in the worst areas. In 15 min the rain gauge went from .27" to .71". My cousin, who lives N of Philly, was in the bad zone, with a tornado warning, but she was spared, though she got the bad hail. While I was on the phone with her, it stopped up there, but started here. Now, in 30 min, it is already at the Jersey shore, the line is moving so fast.

I hope everyone was spared the brunt of these storms, wherever you are!

applestar
Mod

We had the tornado alert as well until 7:30. with wind howling and deep rumbling thunder shook the house. We gathered in front of the TV where situation was unusual enough to interrupt the basketball and hubby was watching the local station had a special weather emergency continuously tracking the band of yellow-red-and brick red, and reporting the conditions along the leading edge as the massive system swept along.

But the system split and veered north and south of us and only an yellow fringe brushed over us while heaviest thunder/lightning apparently swept by to the south — DD jokingly asked me if I had extended my garden protection barrier.

…We did hear emergency vehicles so not everyone/everything was spared. :(

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I put the temporary hoop house up and finished it to its usual fashion Wednesday and Thursday. Today we had rain and 45 mph wind gusts.

It moves quite a bit with winds like that but it is a very sheltered location, for having day-long sunlight. Not quite as sheltered as I would have liked it but it seems to have weathered the windstorm okay.

We also picked up about 1/4" of rain and there should be more coming with some snow over the next few days. The lawn will appreciate the moisture. The grass still hasn't started to grow in the densest shade but where there is lots of sun it was trying but becoming very dry. Between snow and rain during March, we only had right at 1 inch of moisture. Less than that in February. A dry Winter with just snow lingering on the ground for long periods of time.

Steve

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The rain gauge here topped out at .77", before midnight, and no more overnight, though the wind was still howling after 1 am. This morning it was down to 41° when I got up at 9:00, and down to 39° sometime before that, but soon it will be warm again.

imafan26
Mod

Pepperhead, you and Applestar seem to be in the right spot, most of the troubling weather is bypassing you. Someone must be keeping you safe. It is 73 degrees and overcast. No winds right now, but rain is expected later today and tonight.

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

Washington state about a hour north of Seattle, we just had some mixed snow and rain and now the sun us out bright as can be. Some dark ominous clouds in the distance though.

imafan26
Mod

It is 67 degrees, overcast and raining. Right now it is a slow drizzle but it was heavy at times during the night. Right now there is unsettled weather centered over the island and the forecast is for more of the same for most of the week.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

83°f today. The hotter it gets today the worse tornadoes will be tomorrow. Storm warnings for tonight & tomorrow.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today it got to 79° by 4:30, but it might get to 80° eventually, and Thursday was forecast to be the warmest. Must have been the sunshine.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I checked the local AgriMet soil temperatures and they all fall short of 40°f (4°C). It isn't surprising. The skiff of snow that fell Sunday night melted during the afternoon but the thermometer also fell short of 40°f, after a prediction of 47° (8°C). Too many clouds ...

It just barely froze by early this morning but I had to keep the greenhouse heat on until 1PM. Then the sun came out. Breezy and probably still won't make it to 47°f but the greenhouse had to be opened up a little.

It was 81° (27C) in there before I sat down and started typing but I don't think that I'd better open it up more. There are lots of tender plants in there!

Steve

imafan26
Mod

It's surreal how some places that were snowing a few weeks ago are hotter than I am in the tropics. The tornadoes are devastating and it is one of those things where people are totally helpless to do anything about it. So many lives lost especially when the tornadoes come in the middle of the night and there were so many of them at once. We do get funnel clouds and water spouts. A few days ago a funnel cloud formed about a week ago on the North Shore, but it did not quite make it to the ground. It would have been a tornado if it did touch down. Dust devils are common, but tonadoes are very rare here.

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

This morning we had snow in some places an later the sun came out and it hit the mid 50s.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is 72°f at 5 am, we are setting on the patio drinking coffee in the dark, petting the dog & cat, listening to the birds sing & the wind blow through the trees. There is a full moon & lots of stars in the sky.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was 21°f (-6°C) this morning with the Full Moon shining brightly through the kitchen window.

Checking the volunteer wunderground stations in the neighborhood – really weird. Some show 10 degrees F warmer! Some colder. WS forecast for the somewhat distant airport was for 29°f (-2°C). That's what they showed! "Partly Cloudy" I guess that's it – the clouds. Where's my blanket??

Heat in greenhouse is doing it's job. I wonder how the transplants are doing under the hoop house. No heat and still too chilly at 7:30 to open it up and check. Sunny!

imafan26
Mod

It is 63 degrees at 5:15 a.m. 86% humidity. It is clear now but may rain later today.

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

We have a cold front moving in and temps are suppose to fall to the mid 30s in the morning with highs in the 40s. From what I read up on my flowers they should all be fine but man I just want a nice stretch of weather in the upper 50s.....I want to plant my Dahlias!!! Snow level will be down to about the 3,000 foot level.

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees. It rained overnight and was overcast in the morning and cleared up in the afternoon. But the clouds moved in and it is raining again. The day temps are about 78 degrees. More of the same expected for the remainder of the week.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”