imafan26
Mod

Re: 2024 What's the Weather like Where You Are?

It is 71 degrees and muggy because of the Kona Low. It has been raining all night and sometimes it has been heavy. It is slightly letting up now and the heaviest rain has moved off shore. The forecast was for 100% rain. Well, it was hard to miss that one. The ground has been saturated for days, but the rain is coming slow enough that it is able to drain. I don't live in a flood zone and I do live where it rains a lot, so the ground here can take more rain than the drier parts of the island that isn't used to having a lot of rain. There has been some flooding on the other side of the island flooding roads and causing landslides. A few homes have been flooded and those are mainly near streams and canals. The state has been proactive in trying to clear as many of the streams and canals as they could before the storm and in some communities, neighbors worked together to clean up what they could before the next storm comes There were a few rescues on the windward side as a few people tried to cross flooded roads and ended up getting stuck. However, the stupidist person was the one in the Tesla, trying to cross a flooded road with a battery powered car! About 15 cars got stuck. The people trying to get home yesterday from town to the windward side got stuck in traffic or had to wait it out somewhere for 2-3 hours before the road could reopen because there were problems on all three routes to the other side of the mountain. I had a club meeting this morning. It is only 5 minutes away, but I did not go. I have some things I wanted to do, but I don't need to do them today unless the weather clears, I can get it done later. So far, the power has stayed on. We are actually only getting the tail end of the Kona Low from the moisture being drawn up from the South. It is also why some places have been hit harder than others. Most of the rain is on Oahu and Maui County. Tomorrow it will be Kauai's turn again. Getting back to back storms with about a day break between them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Rain every day. Potato plants like this. I can't plant corn & beans in mud.
Last edited by Gary350 on Fri May 17, 2024 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

it is 79 degrees and muggy because the Kona winds come from the south at 5mph. The rain cleared up yesterday afternoon and overnight the storm went back wards and hit Oahu with heavy rain this morning. It has now moved off towards Kauai which will be getting another round of heavy rain. Rain fall at the peak was 2-3 inches an hour. We had 3.99 inches in 24 hours. 3.5 inches in the last 6 hours. I had to rescue my rose. It was drowning in the rain. There is more rain in the forecast because moist air is still being sucked up from the south, but it should be less than 1/2 inch. The normal trades should come back early next week.

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees now. The rain cleared for awhile yesterday afternoon and headed off to Kauai, but today it drifted back around 1 p.m. Not as intense as before but Waikiki roads actually flooded, and that is a rare occurrence. The trades should be back by Monday, and we should have some time to dry out. it is about time, I am getting a little stir crazy.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I can't wait any longer.
Attachments
CutGrass..jpg
CutGrass..jpg (44.83 KiB) Viewed 254 times

imafan26
Mod

I know the feeling. I hate weed whacking. The weather here is finally staring to clear. it is 74 degrees at 6 p.m. The day started still very overcast and there were some spotty showers on Oahu, but most of the rain has moved off this island. It is still mostly cloudy, but not the thick dark clouds that have been around for days It is still muggy and humid, and moisture is still being pulled up from the south. The trades are starting to come back and tomorrow should be more of a trade wind day. I may get to weed whack the weeds if it stays dry. I probably still won't have to water much for the next couple of days. The trades bring rain too, but it will be the usual windward and mauka showers. 20% chance of rain less than 0.10 inch. At least the bigger weeds are easier to pull when the ground is wet.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

After 3 mornings with the temperatures in the 30's (3⁰C), we had some rain. This was after I set out the tomatoes and they almost immediately had to withstand 60mph wind gusts.

Okay, I messed up (shakes head). Perhaps, just perhaps, the wind was not quite that bad in my fairly well-protected backyard.

The .15 inch of rain was welcome and brings us to about 3/4" for the month. We are still in a "moderate drought" & below normal for these 3 weeks of May but there is some relief a little ways south. Altho, it is a "severe drought" to the east and that's the forests of the Rockies. There may be a little more rain over the next few days. Unseasonably cool – for sure.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wow LOOK, a white TN cloud and blue sky.
Attachments
101_9012.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat May 25, 2024 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

Its been weeks since I have seen blue sky.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday about 4 pm we had 2" of rain with pea size hail, no damage to our garden. 2 miles south of us they had 2" hail. Another location in town reported tennis ball size hail. I had just finished cleaning out the house gutters rain drained off the roof no problems. Not much lightning and not much wind at our location. We were watching the storm inside the screen porch when a sudden strong wind got us so wet it looked like we fell into the river. LOL. Rain was cold.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

More rain.
Attachments
101_9057.JPG

imafan26
Mod

The trades are back with winds gusting up to the 30's. Surf is up but so are the box jelly fish. It is 75 degrees at 6p.m. It peaked around 80 today. Night temperature is still around 67-68 degrees. It is now thickly overcast from the afternoon heating. It rained overnight which is typical trade wind weather. It should last a few days.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It got down into the low 50s this morning, but today is supposed to get into the low 80s. Fortunately, the humidity is remaining very low - yesterday had a dewpoint of 39°, with that 78° high, so it didn't seem that warm! It rained like crazy in early May, but it has been relatively dry since - the fronts from the midwest have fizzled out by the time they have gotten here, not even giving a half inch, by the time they got to my area, and yesterday, when I 'tilled the row in the garden for the butternuts, it kicked up a cloud of dust! Doesn't take long to dry out...I wonder if we're in an official drought again, in this area?! :lol:

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Wettest spring in several years...lots of green is nice instead of the dry, dead brown we have become used to. Our gardens are doing very well thank you!

imafan26
Mod

Really weird weather for June. We had so much rain over a couple of weeks that it watered deeply into the soil. The mountains and haole koa are green. Normally, this is the dry season with temps in the mid 80's ( It was 78 degrees today), and the mountains would be brown and baked around now. However, I will take any delay in dry conditions as a blessing.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”