!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

Re: 2020 What's the weather like where you are?

somehow it didn't occur to me that you're in the next time zone. of course you're almost exactly an hour off!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I live west and somewhat in a western range of the Rocky Mountains. The shadow of the mountains make my sunrise later than official sunrise.

I used to live not far away in a valley that runs North-South. The sun would rise behind one high mountain range and set behind another. Fortunately, the longest day in the growing season here is almost exactly 16 hours - officially. Winter was a very different story.

My home is not far into the Pacific time zone. If I was to move to the Pacific Coast (at the same distance north), the sunrise that I would see there would be almost 30 minutes later than the one here, sunset would be about the same number of minutes later.

Steve
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

I've got .32" so far, with a lot more to come. No work outside today! Except maybe cleaning up after the storm moves through. I'm in the 4-5" predicted rain area, and not ending totally until early evening or later.
Dave

applestar
Mod

It’s been raining but just picked up — hitting the windows / side of the house in not just pitterpatters but surf-like wave noises.
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

Update - up to 1.23", and getting stronger. The rain meter numbers go up as I look at it, it's coming down so hard!
Dave

pepperhead212
Greener Thumb

Up to 4.62" now. I went out, briefly, when it had stopped a couple hours ago, to see if there was any damage, and it seemed there was no wind damage, as the wind wasn't too bad. Couldn't do any do any picking, or anything like that, to prevent spreading diseases. Pretty soon after that, the rain was coming down hard again, and the radar shows it coming and going like that for several more hours. I'm glad I got all that garlic dug up!
Dave

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is too HOT. We need some snow.

TomatoNut95
Greener Thumb

I'm afraid snow would do our gardens in. But it's true we do need some relief. It's cloudy outside today and do you know why? It is because I'm trying to dry some tomatoes, that's why it decides to get cloudy. But it's still too hot, I got all sweaty trying to hoe up those nasty grassy weeds outta my okra spot. Current temperature is 90.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Every TV station has their own idea what weather is today.

Channel 2 says, 98 degrees today, feels like 105 degrees.

Channel 4 says, 100 degrees today, wind chill factor 109 degrees.

Channel 5 says, 98 degrees today, heat index 107 degrees.

WHY do we have wind chill factor in winter and heat index in summer?

I want to know exactly what temperature wind chill becomes heat index?

applestar
Mod

Shout out to Hawaii — stay safe from Douglas!

Shout out to the Gulf States — stay safe from Hanna!

Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Two weeks of really hot and humid. Seems more like southern weather than mid-west.
Paul F

TomatoNut95
Greener Thumb

I actually had no idea Hanna was out there until this morning. Guess that's what happens when you ignore the weather channel on TV for too long. Not to mention nobody tells me anything. I use my weather app, but unfortunately it never tells when there's hurricanes out there.

Thankfully I'm not in Hanna's path, she's going to South Texas. But I do hope everyone stays safe!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't remember humidity ever being this bad. Looking out the window air looks like it is full of smoke like there must be a big fire some where. Temperature inside the house is 72 degrees F and temperature outside is 73 degrees F but when I step outside it feels like 90 degrees it is like walking into a very hot steamy shower room. Air outside feels sticky and it feels like it is hard to breath.

TomatoNut95
Greener Thumb

Gary350 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:07 pm
I don't remember humidity ever being this bad. Looking out the window air looks like it is full of smoke like there must be a big fire some where. Temperature inside the house is 72 degrees F and temperature outside is 73 degrees F but when I step outside it feels like 90 degrees it is like walking into a very hot steamy shower room. Air outside feels sticky and it feels like it is hard to breath.

That is EXACTLY how my outdoors feels like! I was outside trying to do some much needed work, but by around 10, I had to just quit. Air feels heavy and humid, despite its kinda clouded up and windy out there. Digital thermometer says it's 88 out there. I'll be glad when fall gets here.

TomatoNut95
Greener Thumb

It's hot. Very, very hot. Thermometer says 93 but feels like 200.

My cousin's vacationing across the country, she'll probably contract the Covid and spread it, but the latest picture she showed me of where she was is Death Valley, CA. Said it was 115F there. No wonder it's called DEATH Valley.

I would also like to tell anyone in Florida to please stay safe with the approaching hurricane.
Attachments
imagejpeg_0_4.jpg

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”