digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: 2017 What's the weather like where you are?

It was the warmest Thanksgiving Day since record-keeping began at the nearest NWS station to have those statistics. The afternoon high was 57°f there and at the little airport closer to home, it was 60°.

There was some driving rain and 40mph wind gusts. I thought that the wind advisories had those conditions promised to Montana but it looks like it pretty much hit here.

The Weather Service pointed out that the record low for Thanksgiving was -8° in 1985, when there was also 11" of snow on the ground. I remember that. I'd moved a little closer to Mom & Dad that year (not far from where I now live). It was a 30 mile drive to their house and we had decided that we were not going another 45 miles to have turkey day with my brother. Actually, there has been much colder weather in late November but it must have missed the movable feast of Thanksgiving.

I understand that the weather is warm across much of the US this year. I hope that means safer highways.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday it rained none stop all day. It was about 45 degrees the high wind made it feel 25 degrees colder. Sun is starting to come up just have to wait and see what weather is like today. My outside thermometer says 36 degrees.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Crazy difference between yesterday and today. It got up to 81 yesterday and with very high humidity, enough so that I had to turn on the A/C to make the house comfortable.

Last night a front came through, complete with high winds and rain and it is now 46 and raining with a high of 56 expected today and continued rain. The heater will go on today, this time to take out the dampness that is making it feel cooler as opposed to yesterday's dampness making it feel muggier.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Weather has been horrible for the past 2 days. Almost constant rain, not a heavy downpour, but just steady raining all day yesterday and today it is mixed with sleet. The dampness can be felt down to the bone with our temperatures in the mid 30's right now and a "feels like" temperature in the upper 20's.

Looks like we will be having this type weather for at least another day or two from what I've seen and heard.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It was a dry Summer and a dry Autumn, so far. Right now, the days are sunny, nothing but blue skies.

Chilly, but nothing unusual for December - unless it's that we have not had any truly very cold weather. For about 4 days, the frost hasn't melted off the north sides of roofs or off the lawn that is in shade from the buildings. And, the shadows are very long this time of year, and at 48° North latitude.

At 19°f this morning, the humidity gauge is finally off the bottom where it was scraping along thru the Summer. but, what do these 90+% readings really mean? I know that it is useful for anticipating fog but doesn't the dew point clue the meteorologist in on that? Fortunately, the airports have been mostly clear of fog. Hoar frost has been growing in shady areas, I don't suppose that there is much need to predict the length of the crystals.

I have a cold. Lots of congestion a couple of days ago, coughing, difficulty swallowing, I knew yesterday when the Tylenol began to wear off by the return of the sinus headaches - always the sinus headaches ... So ... I'm almost afraid to go outside ...

It's so dry! There's no way to describe the air other than "harsh." Of course it could be much worse, and often is this time of year. Sure, it could be 10° below zero out there under the blue sky! 96% relative humidity???

Steve

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

digitS' wrote:It was a dry Summer and a dry Autumn, so far. Right now, the days are sunny, nothing but blue skies.

Chilly, but nothing unusual for December - unless it's that we have not had any truly very cold weather. For about 4 days, the frost hasn't melted off the north sides of roofs or off the lawn that is in shade from the buildings. And, the shadows are very long this time of year, and at 48° North latitude.

At 19°f this morning, the humidity gauge is finally off the bottom where it was scraping along thru the Summer. but, what do these 90+% readings really mean? I know that it is useful for anticipating fog but doesn't the dew point clue the meteorologist in on that? Fortunately, the airports have been mostly clear of fog. Hoar frost has been growing in shady areas, I don't suppose that there is much need to predict the length of the crystals.

I have a cold. Lots of congestion a couple of days ago, coughing, difficulty swallowing, I knew yesterday when the Tylenol began to wear off by the return of the sinus headaches - always the sinus headaches ... So ... I'm almost afraid to go outside ...

It's so dry! There's no way to describe the air other than "harsh." Of course it could be much worse, and often is this time of year. Sure, it could be 10° below zero out there under the blue sky! 96% relative humidity???

Steve
90% humidity in the summer where I live only means one thing, sticky, thick, nasty weather with going outside feeling like you are walking in a hot house right after all the plants were watered. Right now I'm having 100% humidity and it's in the mid 30's with rain, sleet and a bit of snow thrown in for good measure even though the snow and sleet are melting almost as soon as it touches down. That level of humidity with the cold air makes it bone chilling cold in my part of the world. I've had friends come visit from places like Indiana in the winter and they have daily temperatures colder than we have almost all the time in the winter, but they say they feel colder here due to the humidity even if it's 10-15 degrees warmer.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Dry dry dry. No rain for probably over 100 days. Went on a vacation out of state for a month til mid Oct; when we returned I could see the effects of the extreme drought. Native grasses are pretty in their present golden state, but if this keeps up they will quickly turn gray, then dry up and blow away.

We had a pretty good monsoon season last summer, and I noticed that one of the mountains that had been decimated by wildfires a few yrs. (Granite Mountain) ago was starting to green up, but now it's all gone. Just bare rock and sand.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

And an open invitation for massive erosion to take place when the rains come back, and they eventually will.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's snowing!!! Hardly snows here and we won't get more than half an inch, if that. But we are getting the tail end of a winter storm in the NorthEast.

LIcenter

Possible 6 inches for us, of that nice heavy wet snow. Blah!

LawnDad
Newly Registered

Was just up in Rexburg, ID with lots of snow and low temperatures. Fortunately I am down in Southern Utah now where it will be 60 degrees today.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful day! 57 degrees and bright and sunny and clear blue skies. I was out working on our paver path.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The lowest temperature in the contiguous 48 states was -8°f in Stanley Idaho on Sunday, LawnDad. It's below zero again this morning and single digitS' in Rexburg.

I'm far to the north where the thermometer is just hovering around the freezing mark for days ... and the air quality is slipping into "unhealthy for sensitive." Well, with this head cold ~ I'm sensitive! Kof

The WS is predicting changes by Friday and if I'm gonna get the slow leak in that front tire fixed, it had better be today before the procrastinating customers show up at the tire shops.

Hey! I just found this US government site showing an air quality national map (including Alaska and Hawaii :wink: ). If you look right in the middle of the Links A-Z, their "List of Partners" may provide more local information for you.

Steve

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This morning about 6:45 am TV weather man said, today's high 39. I looked at my outside thermometer it already says 42. LOL

MoonShadows

18F right now and snowing...2-4 inches predicted.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

There are so many things that affect the temperature that predictions are always more like probabilities. My sister keeps telling me how cold it's supposed to be and I bite my tongue in reminding her that the weather is based on the airport, several miles away, higher elevation, way fewer trees, not on the water, etc.

I moved some plants that I want to keep happy but outside. They are now on the west side of the house, very close to windows or doors. If the prediction is for near freezing, why not take advantage of the western sun heating up the building and hardscape, the heat radiating from the windows and doors. It may not make much of a difference at dawn when it's the coldest though.

Even the microclimate is variable. We all have spots where we grow things that need a little more water or a little less shade. I just pay attention to where it is just a little bit warmer.

I really do feel that I can take most of what the weather brings. I know how to dress for snow and for temperature inversions and for gale force winds. I also know when to tuck tail and burrow in.

So far we have not had freezing weather, but you wouldn't know it by looking at the Christmas shoppers. Turtlenecks and pea coats and heavy boots. Scarves and gloves that are for fashion and not for warmth or utility. Every time someone I'm with wants to duck into a doorway because it's raining a bit, I just laugh. Seriously? It's Florida, people. So you get a little wet. You'll be dry in no time.

But a beautiful day today. Reminds me of the last days of indian summer: cool enough for football and for enjoying hot cocoa. And finally the pond weed overgrowth has died off and sunk to the bottom.

On one of our cooler nights last week we had thunder and rain for a few hours. December and lightning, the sky flaring like they were fireworks for Advent. It's a kooky state, Florida.

applestar
Mod

Snowing here as well. Mid December, lows in the tweens and teens... just about right. We’ll probably see temp dips down to single digits near end of December and through January,

A couple to a handful of negative single digit lows in the dead of the winter is the norm around here.

...thanrose, in my area, the airports report warmer temps than my garden — I Always have to subtract 3-4 degrees LOL

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

RAIN......Lots of rain.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Warmish and humid. 96% humidity and 64F this AM, as I recall. Finally getting a little autumn color in a few trees.

MoonShadows

Still an outside chance of a white Christmas.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

High of 63 today with relatively low humidity for our part of the world at 76%. No rain in sight with clear blue skies and bright sunshine.

MoonShadows

2-4 inches predicted for here between 7 tonight and 7 Christmas morning. Looks like white Christmas after all. Nice.

imafan26
Mod

It was cold for me at 61 degrees this morning, but it was a nice sunny day. I worked so I was not outside much. It is 67 degrees now. Christmas will be sunny and green. The overnight lows will be in the low sixties so I guess I will be sleeping with my heating pad, two blankets, and sweats again. The day temperature will be around 78 tomorrow. It normally has a few sprinkles in the early morning but nothing much.
Maui and Big island got slammed with the thunderstorms and heavy rain up to 8 inches in some places. Hana hwy had a landslide and canals overflowed and intersections and the places along the canals got flooded. On Oahu most of the heavy rain missed us. We got some isolated showers but no real flooding or thunderstorms. More rain is expected on Tuesday but 3 days out that may change.

My roses have all decided to to bloom for me for Christmas. That's the best present. I do have to weed whack the grass again because the rain we have had is making it grow faster. I have about 8 or 9 orchids in bloom. Tomorrow for Christmas my cat will get Tuna for breakfast.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are back in Cincinnati for Christmas. There is snow on the ground. 23 degrees, but feels much colder due to big wind chill factor. We are headed back to Chattanooga, where it will be in the 40's and sunny. Cincinnati has fierce cold predicted for the coming week, with temps down to 5 degrees. We are so glad we moved!

applestar
Mod

I thought I was reading the forecast wrong — overnight low of 9°F Wed night, then daytime HIGH of 23°F on Thursday.... :shock:

fromlawntofood
Newly Registered

Very cold! Rainy too. Ready for spring to come back around. And the wind is horrendous!

imafan26
Mod

It is 68 degrees right now. It is very wet and hazy. It has been raining most of the day, sometimes heavy other times just a drizzle. More rain in the forecast with a flood watch in effect for possible thunderstorms. Some of the road have some big puddles that cars have had to wade through. Not much wind so nothing is falling yet. A good day to stay in side with a nice bowl of hot soup or chocolate.

smokeeater360

We are sitting at a very cool -4. Light snow cover on the ground.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We are getting the same cold snap as most of the eastern half of the country. Starting tomorrow, night time lows will be in the teens for six nights in a row. Very unusual for us and some of those are near record cold. Two of those days the high temperature for the day never gets above freezing!! The historic averages I look at gives record lows and record highs, but it doesn't say what is the lowest High temperature we have had. I would guess that staying below freezing for the high is very unusual around here, whether or not a record.

But one of the big perks of being retired is that I don't have to go out in it! (Except briefly to take care of chickens) And there's no snow in that forecast. So we will cuddle up indoors and wait this week out. Very hard on our solar production though, short cloudy, very cold days when the heat is running a lot. Not keeping up too well!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

The Pacific Northwest has avoided most of those extremely cold temperatures but a fairly good storm rolled through. Crossing the Rockies in Montana should be quite an experience right now! Of course, it would have been even more exciting a day or two ago when all that snow was falling.

Right at my elevation of 2,000 feet, the snow was followed by a couple of hours of rain ..! Eeek! Temperatures hadn't been above freezing for about 2 weeks. The slush and puddles have now frozen in place! It looks like we will have at least another 5 days with no thawing and any chance of hitting that warmer temperature will probably just mean - more snow! Snow on ice ... as the Weather Service says, take it nice and slow.

I haven't reached anything close to the snow storage problems I am dealing with at times. It's good that even at this lower elevation that there is some insulating snow, in my yard and elsewhere. And, plenty of snow at higher elevations!

Steve

applestar
Mod

We had a couple of inches of powder snow. With highs in the 20’s and lows in teens with windchill in the single digits, not much has melted and there is even a coat of snow on my street — not Enough for the snowplows to be deployed.

In a way I like days like this — with White everywhere, light coming in through the condensation and frost on the windows is very bright — much Better than the dreary and wan winter days.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I agree, applestar. Love the crisp air, clean smell, and white vistas, especially if there is a blue sky. I actually even like ice storms, as long as I'm able to stay off the roads and go inside whenever I want. What digit is describing could bring what I only witnessed infrequently: snow with a thick ice coat on top, then more snow, more melt with subsequent ice and then snow again. The first time I really saw that was in Montreal, and the layers of snow and ice and snow and ice were numerous and rather like an archaeological dig. Then I lived with it in Boston a few times, and decided the treasures of discards, soot, and dog poop that would accumulate in the snow banks made the melt so very unpleasant. But yeah, I love the sound muffling effect of a snow bound day. Less traffic, distant sounds quiet, close sounds clarion clear.

We're somewhat unpleasantly cool today. I was out in t-shirt, jeans, and flipflops, for a couple of rounds on the small property, checking out the retention pond, looking for leaf bud, wildlife, etc. After fifteen minutes, and seeing that all signs of life were sensibly dormant, I came back in. I guarantee there are people on the beach today. I went on Christmas, got my feet wet, met a couple from the northeast who had gone in the water briefly and we agree it was kinda like a summer's day in New England surf. Low 60's F maybe. Air temp in the 50's. It felt like the mid 40's here today.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”