djmals
Newly Registered

when to feed after hard pruning of buxus

I just did a hard prune and partial defoliation of a Buxus microphylla and am wondering if I should feed right away or wait for regular feeding (which would be next weekend). When I do feed, should it be a balanced food or not? Any help will be much appreciated.

Dan

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

I'm not entirely sure of the specifics on this but I would say wait for you regular feeding date, although I don't think you have too, and feed with a fert high in nitrogen to help those new buds along. One problem is that you did this a little bit late in the season and theres nothing particularly wrong with that but I wouldn't expect any new growth this year. If it is really healthy you may still get new growth but it wont be much.

If I were you I would just continue to feed it a balanced fert for the rest of your growing season to help it build up stores of food for next year. Again I'm no fert expert.

Tom

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

djmals,
I would say wait for you regular feeding date
My thought were much the same. If you have been fertilizing regularly your soil is probably holding small amounts of fertilizer right now, so you are OK.

Norm

djmals
Newly Registered

thank you both

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”