caz
Newly Registered

Chinese Elm

Hi Can anyone help I have been given a Chinese Elm Bonsai for a birthdsy present that is 15 years old and very beautiful, the only problem is that every plant I have ever had has died on me, as I don't have green fingers.
I live in the UK and don't want to kill off this tree.
I don't even know if this tree is an indoor or out door tree. Please help, all advice will be very welcome. I have purchased a book on bonsai trees but it only covers general care with no reference to the Chinese Elm itself.

Caz

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Being a UK personage, you should check out Peter Adams' books which are VERY good and very English (measurements and products discussed, etc.)

Chinese elm are a 'tweener (they are found in tropical locations, but very hardy as well) so you have choices there. Treat it as a tropical, or as a temperate, or somewhere in between...

Pretty hardy tree, so don't panic! I have seen mildew as a pretty regular problem on this one, so don't leave foliage wet at night (water early if you can). Other than that it's a pretty easy tree...

Here's some specific info...

[url]https://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/syllabus/factsheet.cfm?ID=90[/url]

Check out the [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/]bonsai[/url] articles here on site and let us know how you're doing with it...

Scott

caz
Newly Registered

Thank you for your reply, how often should I water this tree and will it be oj living inside with central heating?
I am very grateful for your help

Caz

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You need to observe how fast the tree is utilizing soil moisture. I can't say every day, or every other day, without knowing what kind of pot, how big it is, how big the tree is, where you keep it, etc...

Probably every third day or so, but check the weight of the pot. I can tell if my trees need it by picking them up; long association with them let's me know when it's light. When in doubt squiggle a finger into the soil; if it's pretty dry a knuckle down, water...

Sorry, didn't mean to use a technical term like "squiggle" :lol:

Scott

caz
Newly Registered

Hi Scott,

It was not swiggle that confused me. LOL.
I do have a picture of my tree saved on my desk top but being as I am blonde and about as usless on computers as I am Bonsai trees I don't know how to post it, do you have an email address I can send it to?

Caz :wink:

caz
Newly Registered

Hi Scott,

I know I'm being a pest, I have found two books by Peter D Adams, they are Art Of Bonsai and Successful Bonsai Growing, which one do you think would be best for a total beginner or should I get them both.

:oops: Caz

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I love Art of Bonsai, but knowing how good his books are, I'd get both!

Post your photo to an online warehouse ( I use photobucket.com) and then copy the webaddress, past it into a message, highlight it, click on the URL button and VOILA! Your a geek in training...

Scott

caz
Newly Registered

Hi Scott,

Looks like I will never be a geek, I did try the site but it is for USA users only

Caz :cry:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Look around, there are others available...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”