Ceaseless
Newly Registered

Snow Load Damage (Blue Star Juniper)

This last winter we had a huge snow load and about a dozen Blue Star Junipers took a serious hit when the snow stayed well into june.

The problem I have is that all these little guys showed serious damage and required pruning of dead wood and needles from about 80% of the plant (mostly from the center)....I have several strong leaders with good color in the needles.....what I'm wondering is this, can the leaders be trained back to the center and rooted thus providing some fill for the center of the plant?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ceaseless,

I get the impression you are referring to landscape material but If I understand the question the answer is yes.
what I'm wondering is this, can the leaders be trained back to the center and rooted thus providing some fill for the center of the plant?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'rooted' but yes you can train a new leader from an existing branch. In bonsai this is done with wire, usually copper or aluminum. I suggest you use aluminum.

Start lower on the old trunk and carefully wrap your way upwards wiring at approximately 45 degree turns continuing up until you are well past we area you wish to bend. Now gently bend the branch into a vertical position. Only bend it once. it will not be truly straight of course, there will be a little wiggle in the trunk at that point but eventually it should diminish. Make sure to remove the wire before it cuts into the bark.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”