BlackBeltScott
Newly Registered

New Bonsai Owner (Juniper)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums and new to the Bonsai culture. I just bought a juniper yesterday and I can't wait to get started with caring for it. I do have a question for the experts...

should I keep it outside all the time? Even when its raining? When is it appropriate to bring inside. I live in Michigan... our summers can be very hot and rainy... and our winters can be very harshly cold and snowy. I would like to be able to understand how I should store the tree. I have read the basics on how it should be stored... but advice for my region would be very helpful. Also... when kept outside, how should the tree be located according to how much light it needs (I.e. direct/indirect/no sunlight at all).

thanks so much for all your help! :D
I look forward to learning about the bonsai.

scott

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Scott,

Hell and welcome to the forum. I'll try to address your questions as best I can.
should I keep it outside all the time? Even when its raining? When is it appropriate to bring inside.
Yes, yes and never. The only caveat is regarding the rain. If the tree is in a heavy organic mix it is possible that it could be over-watered. Junipers dislike being constantly wet, other than that let it experience the full effects of nature.
I would like to be able to understand how I should store the tree. I have read the basics on how it should be stored... but advice for my region would be very helpful.
Then you realize that it must be allowed to go dormant. Some protection is advisable though, an unheated garage, shed or possibly a porch can be used. If the root ball will remain intact another option is to 'heel it in' to a sheltered spot in your garden or flowerbed. Junipers are very hardy and can take a cold winter just fine. Are they growing in your neighborhood?
Also... when kept outside, how should the tree be located according to how much light it needs (I.e. direct/indirect/no sunlight at all).
During the growing season they like full sun, while dormant the need for light is greatly reduced diminishing to almost none while temperatures are well below freezing.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Juniperus.html

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”