devotchka828
Newly Registered

NEED HELP!!! (Juniper)

OK. my dad and I bought a Bonsai tree for my mom on mother's day. When she first got it she was taking care if it regularly. She left to go over seas yesterday and the past couple of weeks she hasn't been taking care of it. Now I noticed that the tree is brown near the trunk and green at the tips.. is the tree dead?! Can it be revived?! HELP PLEASE!

alisios

hello devotchka -

It would help if we could identify your tree. Do you have a way to take a picture?

devotchka828
Newly Registered

Hopefully it isn't too late... :(

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Devotchka828/Bonsai/IMG_0391.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Devotchka828/Bonsai/IMG_0393.jpg
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v734/Devotchka828/Bonsai/IMG_0394.jpg

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

devotchka828,

It looks like the typical Juniper bonsai that are sold at numerous retailers.
Hopefully it isn't too late.
Well it certainly is showing some distress but I've seen worse. I think it could go either way. Can you give us some more information such as where you are keeping it, how you water it, etc.

In the meantime read the sticky thread about general growing for tips on watering.

Norm

devotchka828
Newly Registered

My mom was keeping it in the house & keeping the soil moist, never over watering it. Then she would occasionally keep it outside.. keep in mind I live in Louisiana. but the past few weeks it has been outside and I have no idea how often she has been watering it since she brought it outside. My brother brought it in the house and showed it to me. and the soild was super dry. Thats when I posted this thread.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

devotchka828,
My brother brought it in the house and showed it to me. and the soild was super dry. Thats when I posted this thread.
You have watered it since then right? Always water thoroughly then allow the soil to approach dryness before repeating. Use the chopstick method to determine when to water.

Junipers belong outside all year long, they are one of the worst species for indoor culture. Find a spot that gets decent morning sun and has some protection from the full midday sun. This is only until it shows new growth, after which transition it to a more open location.

Norm

devotchka828
Newly Registered

Thanks!! Yes I started watering immediately after I noticed it was turning brown. I also use a spray bottle to mist the leaves... is the humidity and heat here good for the tree?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

devotchka828,
is the humidity and heat here good for the tree?
In all honesty I have no experience with your type of climate. I will say though that inside is not a viable option for Junipers.

Norm

alisios

Your tree looks like a nice tree with a very workable shape. I don't have experience in your climate either, but it seems that when the time is right, get it into a soil that drains very well. The humidity where you live will make this aspect of the soil very important. Junipers like it when it's drier on the bottom. I live in an area where the heat can be intense, so I know that they can take it when healthy. I wish I had more humidity.

Once you are familiar with the watering of it, you might be surprised to find that a new "soil" you use really isn't soil at all. Don't be afraid to use more inorganic components than you might otherwise use for a plant.

I don't think it's too late to stop the browning of the needles. The one's that are brown will not come back to green so you can remove them.

Keep it outside in a sheltered spot with some sun.

Good luck.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”