matthewr88

Update..

Hi everyone!

Thought I'd give you an update on my Bonsai's current status...

Well, things went a bit ary with my tree.. In August 06 my wife and I had our first baby, after having moved into our new house. The tree had been living in our garden on a garden table and had been doing very well, as our gander gets alot of light, but parts are shaded slight by the house, so it perfect for the tree. However, as winter drew in and temperatures dropped I put him in the conservatory with a view to keeping it warming and watering it when needed. As you can imagine, with a new born baby your time and attention is taken up with other problems. One day my wife comes in from the conservatory and tell me to take a look at my bonsai. Its leaves were totally dry and had all died, just literally hanging on. So I quickly watered it hoping it would spring back to life.. after a couple of weeks there was no change and all the leaves had fallen off completely. It resided in the conservatory for a couple of months, only getting some water every now and then, and it wouldnt seem to adsorb any water and would just sit water logged... things looked pretty much ended for my Bonsai...

Once the temperature had risen to a sensible level I stuff him back the garden.. pretty much as a shine to itself.. I consided purchasing another Bonsai but felt it would probably befall the same fate delt by my neglect this poor plant had, so decided to just keep this leafless Bonsai sitting on the table in the garden...

We went on holiday for a week in May, and my Grandmother in law decided she would do some gardening for us whilst we were away. We arrived back, and I looked out the window into the garden to see the Bonsai's pot lying empty next to the shed, and the plant nowhere to be seen.. I went outside to see if I could find it... I found it... on the top of our garden recycling bag.. several branches were now snapped and the earth it was in had partly fallen away... We quickly retrieved him and cleaned the roots up, all the smaller roots looked like they had died or rotten... we put some bog standard compost in the pot with some stones at the bottom to aid drainage.. the tree was a bit unsteady in the pot.. and a few times when it was windy it got blown out of the pot... not much was really happening with it, and I got told by friends and family to bin the tree....

Well.... with my patience and the trees amazing resilience it has begun to grow again! The base of the plant had begun to sprout leaves and halfway up the trunk there are buds breaking through the old bark... I'm hoping the old branches will fight back into life, but I'm not getting my hopes up... I've since bought some proper Bonsai compost from B&Q and repotted it again and am keeping an eye on it daily... once it gets going well I'll try and get some pictures up :D

Very stubborn this plant lol

Mat

Gnome
Mod

Mat,

Welcome back, I've only been around here about a year and don't recall seeing this thread before, glad the tree is coming around for you. Please do post some pictures for us to see. This is not a species that I am familiar with except from reading. Perhaps if you get a few moments you would be so kind as to take a look at two recent threads, thanks

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5854
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5860

Glad to have someone around with hands on experience with this species. Don't wait so long before checking back in next time.

Norm

matthewr88

Now have some questions, hopefully someone can help.. the leaves are growing back ok.. but they are growing alot larger than they were before.. now I'm not sure whether to start trimming to get the size down or just leave it till the plant has re-established itself.. any ideas?

Mat

Gnome
Mod

Mat,

From your description it sounds like this tree has had a rough time of it recently. I think I would be reluctant to do much with it now except encourage growth the help revitalize it.

One of the things that leads to smaller leaves is having many growing points, this spreads the trees resources over a wider area. If you only have a few shoots right now the trees energies will be focused on that limited number of growing points. Other possibles might be excessive fertilization or too dim of a location. Just some ideas to consider.

Norm

matthewr88

Thanks Gnome..

I haven't fertilised at all, and the tree is in good light... it must just be a case that it has few leaves at the moment, so I'll leave it to do its thing and wait to see how things go...

Mat

ynot
Greener Thumb

matthewr88 wrote:
I haven't fertilised at all, and the tree is in good light... it must just be a case that it has few leaves at the moment,
Mat
Matt,

I apologise if I have missed it in a previous post in this thread [A distinct possibility I assure you as my time has been very limited lately :( ]... But could you be a bit more descriptive as to the 'good light' you refer to.

Oversized leaves are often a sign of poor lighting conditions though as Gnome notes the current leaf size could be due to it's limited foliage.

good luck and I am happy to see it has come back for you.

ynot

matthewr88

by "good light" I mean it sits on a table in the back garden a good 3 metres away from the back of the house.. the garden gets sun light for the majority of the day.. from about 7-8am till dusk... so plenty of light :wink:

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”