jberry90

Miniture fruit

I just received my book that I ordered, "Bonsai in your home", today and was brwosing through it when I saw a picture of a tree with little yellow/orange fruit on it, I read the description and found that it was Oranges. Does anyone know about this and if it is possible with other fruit, and weather or not you can eat them?

Thanks,
Jberry

Kenshin14435

I suppose you could eat them if you wanted. But I would save them for decorational purposes. But if you have to many bugs like Japanese Beetles or something and they're ruining it. I'd say pick 'em

jberry90

I was just wondering cause it'd be so cool to bring one of my friends a "baby" orange to eat :D

alisios

You can bonsai other fruit trees. I don't think the fruit is all that much smaller than a regular tree.

I don't have any fruit tree bonsai, but I have read somewhere that pinching off buds before they fruit saves a lot of energy for the tree to develop other aspects such as branches, leaves and roots.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

jberry90,
Does anyone know about this and if it is possible with other fruit,
Trees that naturally produce full sized fruit will not reduce the way leaves might. Flowers and fruit size are genetically predetermined and not subject to change via bonsai techniques. If you wish to grow a fruiting tree as bonsai choose one that has naturally small fruit. For example, choose a Crab Apple over a full sized Apple.

[url=https://www.floridata.com/ref/F/fort_mar.cfm]Kumquats[/url] are edible as are [url=https://www.tradewindsfruit.com/calamondin.htm]Calamondin Oranges.[/url]

Norm

Senczy
Newly Registered

my first bonsai was an orange tree. They are very cool. FYI Don't use tap water that's what killed mine. Most Sold bonsai Orange trees are ornamental verities. They aren't really made for eating no matter how cool it is. I know how u feel those I always wanted to eat own for the novelty but it just not worth the risk.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”