uzeyr

tree of 1000 stars dying help again

hi I havnt visited in awhile
but my tree is sick again I have repoted it and the root system is healthy but the new buds that are coming out turn balck and die I have had to remove four branches because they all died slowly.the tree is in bad shape the leaves are falling despite me putting it in the balcony resting on a basin filled with water the humudity tray.

also on the tree under the bark I can see these white silver insects they look like pests to me the only way I can kill them is by removing pieces of teh bark and squahing the I need help a.s.a.p so any adveice bout the blackening new buds or those hairy white flat insects

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,

Is it possible that you are keeping it too wet? You mention a water filled basin. Has the plant been allowed to sit in standing water? Is the soil constantly wet? You have re-potted it but what type of medium have you used? A medium that is heavily organic will retain more water than an inorganic, free draining mix.

The dying foliage, insects, and (presumably) soft spongy bark and could be symptoms of over-watering or more accurately, watering too frequently.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I agree, it also sounds to me like too much watering. If the soil is being allowed to dry slightly between waterings there may be a problem with the root system.

uzeyr

the tree is in a bowl of water but it doesnt touch the water(its on some gravel ).it gets fairly hot outside imean really hot but the soil doent seem to dry out I don't water that often cause the soil always seems wet the tree was vigorous when I bought it then the leaves fall off now the buds going black and there is yellowing the tree doesnt look good I repotted this year with a compost thats it cause the guys at the shop told me compost should suit it fine.
my mum thinks there is too much sun outside is that true what about the white insects I see under the flaky bark?
the tree is dying I need to do something fast maybe it could be that watering cause I water when I see that soil is light brown because its mostly dark brown is there a way I can tell

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

uzeyr,
I don't water that often cause the soil always seems wet
This indicates to me that the soil is too dense, finely textured, organic.
I repotted this year with a compost thats it cause the guys at the shop told me compost should suit it fine.
When I think of compost I see a 100% organic material that is great in a garden but horrible in a pot. In the UK I believe they use the term differently.
my mum thinks there is too much sun outside is that true
That may well be but I think you have other problems now.
what about the white insects I see under the flaky bark?
This is worrisome and short of spraying with something the only suggestion I have is to let the tree dry more. It is my understanding that this species can react badly to pesticides anyway.

You could try re-potting it into a correct medium but the stress of another move could prove fatal to a tree already in distress. Besides until you have a better understanding of bonsai mediums there is no point in re-potting into something new that is still inappropriate.

It may be too late for this particular plant. If you have ever taken cuttings you could try to salvage the plant that way. If it dies accept it and move on but do not give up on bonsai. We all kill trees especially early on. Take this as a hint to do more research next time, preferably before you buy.

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Serissa.html

Norm

rondo769
Cool Member

The little white-silver insects sound like silverfish to me.They thrive in constant wet-moist conditions.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”