Kenshin14435

Weeping Willow(Ficus salicaria)

There have recently been a few posts about some weeping willows.
I like weeping willows so I did some digging and found this.
[url]https://www.meehansminiatures.com/shop/index.php?action=search[/url]
There a relatively cheap(we all like that)so I might be able to buy if I want to. I do however have a few questions that maybe someone could clear up for me.(If not I'll go ask meehan staff)
When you go to the link there are 4 trees. I have already ruled out the bottom one(too expensive).
The top two trees are kinda confuzing though. I know they used the same pic(this annoys me) for 2 different items, but I was wondering what the difference is between the 2.
Also, I would want a tree that looks like this.

[img]https://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/6e/270px-Willow.jpg[/img]

I would've used another pic but this was the best one I could find. I was about to use another but then I looked more closely to the lake and foun there was a naked woman walknig out of it. I decided against that one.
I can't really tell whether it's a formal upright or in-formal upright.
all I know is that I would want it to look something like this.
Can you tell me what kind of style this tree would be classified?
Then I would be able to act accordingly on meehan's website and choose the right tree.
Thanx so much

arboricola

Ken;

Not sure what tree you're looking for. The picture you posted is a Salix Babylonica and that's their normal growth habit. A full size weeping willow. Ficus Salicaria is often called the willow leaf fig or narrow leaf fig. It's growth habit is a little different from the weeping willow.

I did look at the site and the difference is the pot size. You might ask before you buy how tall and the age of the tree.

Phil...

Kenshin14435

Oh, did not know weeping was different. Thanx for the info. We'll see what happens. I don't know what I'm going to do right now. Oh-I know.
I'm going to keep with my Japanese Maple plan. Then when I get settled with that I'll get a Ficus salicaria.
Lifes too short. I'm annoyed with that.
Oh-Well

arboricola

Ken;

If you can find a weeping willow (Salix) where you live, ask the owner if you can take a cutting. They root fast. They don't conform to any bonsai style I know of, but do make a nice tree if you like the weeping look.

Phil...

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

I think you have been misled by the common name. Willow leafed ficus is not a Willow, it is a Ficus that some might consider resembling a Willow. The common names ascribed to plants are often misleading. When push comes to shove always refer to the [url=https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/taxonomy.htm]Binomial naming system.[/url] Ficus are always Ficus xxx and Willows are Salix xxx Weeping Willow are Salix babylonica.

Norm

Kenshin14435

Yes, I think I did mess the name up. I did a search and typed in "weeping willow", I think the ficus part came up because it was it's common name.
Oh- I saw a Salix on the website. I kinda had my doubts about the ficus thing. Seemed kinda odd.
Thnx Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”