Ziplock

Slow release ferts

I was wondering if perhaps you guys could share your prefered slow release fertilizers and why. Also I am concerned with the balance. I have read to feed with low nitrogen to encourage bonsai size and rammification. However I have also read and been told by some bonsai salesman that I should used either a balanced or a high nitro such as 12%.

Until now I have been using 05-10-05 liquid feed to be on the safe side. But I really want to make sure I am feeding them properly. I have several types of bonsai, Juniper, Maple, Boxelder, Mulberry, Fukien Tea. Is it possible to have some balanced feed that I could use on all my trees? I would prefer to only buy one in bulk pellet form. I'm looking at something around these lines: https://www.amazon.com/Nutricote-13-13-13-5lbs/dp/B000OWHM9Q

I look forward to your suggestions / experiences.

Thanks[/url]

Kenshin14435

Personally I hate pelets. They killed my last tree. They can clog up the surface and all that stuff and I don't feel like having to deal with that kinda mess. Oh- another thing. How long do you want your pellets to last. That could be another factor in buynig pellets. I prefer liquid 'cause it's easier for me.
Good Luck finding something.

Ziplock

Hmm thanks Kenshin I could stick with liquid I suppose. I just figured that most of the food just drains out of the bottom of the pot and evaporates from with the soil over time. This would seem wastefull and not so efficient. However this means then that the advantage with using liquid would be it becoming more difficult to over feed the tree.

I don't mind feeding the trees often as I am out there every day to check thier needs in terms of water, and I am misting my Junipers twice a day.

Using true slow release pellets should allow me to put a little under some moss or rocks in each corner of a pot and it should feed gently over time as I water.

Never the less what kind of nutrient balance do you use in your ferts and are you using them on different species of tree?

Kenshin14435

Right now I'm not useig any fertilizer. Infact, I have no real trees to use my fertilizer on. They're just small saplings. I'm probably going to start incorporating it in next spring. They're doing great right now. Anyway, I use 7-8-6.........I think. I'd have to find the fertilizer to tell you for sure.
My last post was not meant to put you down either. I was stating the fact about them(mostly the negative). But heres some more facts. You don't have to worry about the pain of mixing it into your water. when you do mix it you don't have to worry about the right dilution.(This can be a big pain)
etc. etc.
I'm no expert on fertilizers 'cause I hardly use mine right now.
If I was you, I would wait to get more posts from more experienced people.
GoodLuck

arboricola

Hre's a liquid fert. that I've used for the last few years. It's called Dyna-Gro "grow' 7-9-5. I like this fert bcause it contains all the trace elements that the plant needs. My trees are in an organic soil mix, but I have used it with Hydroponic media.

Here's where you can read about it and many other ferts. https://homeharvest.com/

Phil...

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I'm also using Dyna-gro, but I also use pellets. I'm not sure what Kenshin means about "clogging". The pellets should be added at a rate of about 1 teaspoon per 6" of pot, whenever the soil is changed. This is mixed into the soil and really comprises very little of the soil mass.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ziplock,
I have read to feed with low nitrogen to encourage bonsai size and rammification. However I have also read and been told by some bonsai salesman that I should used either a balanced or a high nitro such as 12%.
A younger plant that is in development can/should be fertilized more aggressively than a mature tree that is approaching, or is at, its 'finished' form.

I have used Osmocote before and had no problems with it. It is similar to the product you linked to and is available locally here. Some of these products are heat released so in certain situations they might provide excessive nutrients.

kdodds,

What type of pellets are you using? I am looking for a solid organic that will not form an unsightly mess that attracts insects as the ones I am familiar with so far have. They seem to really degrade quickly and have a tendency, when they filter into the soil, to slow drainage. Perhaps this is what Ken was referring to.

Norm

kdodds
Greener Thumb

I use a product similar to Osmocote, inorganic. But, yes, I hear you on the organics, especially since I'm doing indoors. They can be really smelly and draw bugs like you wouldn't believe, so I tend to stay away from them.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”