jberry90

ok, I made some phone calls and no one has any willows left because of the drought, Lowes has no trees at all cause they marked them all down at the begining of the season.. And a Japanese maple costs 69.99 O.O Is the average for most trees? I haven't had a chance to go and shop around though.. Would I be better off buying from somewhere online instead?
Is there a way to get a cutting from another willow? It seems like I heard somewere that you can root cutting of willows?
(I Really have my heart set on willows now though regardless if they are outdoor or not

thanks again for all of yall's help!
jberry

jberry90

random thought, what if you made an apple bonsai tree? would you get like little mini apples?? or an orange tree? or any other fruit tree for that matter? (off subject I know... lol) I would assume not but figured I'd ask the experts...

constantstaticx3
Green Thumb

It is possible to do a magnolia I've seen it done before but the leaves are very large and I'm not sure they would reduce. Willows aren't the best choice but also can be done. The grow very fast and need to be re-potted twice a year or more because of how fast the roots grow. Cuttings root very easily in a bottle of watter and that could be the way to go.

I do think for you it may be best to order online and you can try here, https://www.meehansminiatures.com/shop/index.php?action=item&id=60&prevaction=category&previd=1&prevstart=0
I suggest you go with the more refined tree so you already have it started for you, its worth the money. You can even email her and ask for something specific.

I would suggest you try a Chinese elm for your first tree. They are very easy to grow and can be brought in for the winter or even left outside and will do just fine either way.

Yes an apple tree can be done but I think on a regular apple tree the apples will stay normal size, not sure though. If you get a crabapple, the apples will be proportionate to the tree.

Tom

gardenerman
Newly Registered

id love to do a weeping willows bonsai. I think that would look brilliant. I'm new to all this, so I'll keep you posted!

Kenshin14435

Just a question but whats thescientific name for a weeping willow?
Thnx

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ken,

I just addressed this in another post.
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8951

norm

jberry90

now I'm confused.. lol..
I think I'm gonna have to wait till next year to get a tree, Nobody has any because of the drought, and there are no saplings anywhere, and I cant order online cause of my parents.. >.>

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”